• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Touchpad problem

• Thread starter Thread starter Wonky Tonka
  • Start date Start date
W

Wonky Tonka

I recently had to buy a replacement power supply for my netbook.
Has worked fine initially but now with the mains power supply connected, the touchpad fails to work.

The buttons still operate, but the actual pointer will not respond.

Tried connecting a USB mouse but no different.

I've moved the power supply as far away from the netbook as possible but still no change.

I've tried removing the battery and running solely on the mains but again, no change.

Any advice appreciated.

PVRisthefuture

Sergeant
I recently had to buy a replacement power supply for my netbook.
Has worked fine initially but now with the mains power supply connected, the touchpad fails to work.

The buttons still operate, but the actual pointer will not respond.

Tried connecting a USB mouse but no different.

I've moved the power supply as far away from the netbook as possible but still no change.

I've tried removing the battery and running solely on the mains but again, no change.

Any advice appreciated.

Sounds like the driver. Just confirm you have not disabled it by accident. Look at your function keys along F1 to F12 for a hand in a square (duhh) :D It should toggle on and off, confirm it's enabled.

If that fails, right click my computer, go to properties, click hardware then devie manger. Click mice and other pointing devices + symbol, and right click the item(s) within. Confirm they are enabled.

Let us know what you find.

W

Wonky Tonka

Tried all that, all ok.

Running on batteries, everything is fine.

There is a lot of (electronic) noise coming from the PSU as it gets picked up on my stereo speakers.

Could this be causing interference with the drivers?
To be honest, it seems like a very crude form of ECM (but that's me just being a complete geek)!

PVRisthefuture

Sergeant
Tried all that, all ok.

There is a lot of (electronic) noise coming from the PSU as it gets picked up on my stereo speakers.

To be honest, it seems like a very crude form of ECM (but that's me just being a complete geek)!

Have you looked at the power management? It could be when on AC power it is disabling some services... when on DC it is on? Look for any changes to services between both power modes.

MingMong

Warrant Officer
I had the same problem on my daughter's laptop.

It is most likely that the laptop doesn't like the power supply. I proved this on my daughters laptop by changing the supply for a different one. Was it by any chance a cheap multi voltage supply from e-bay or similar?

Considering the only new item in your system is the PSU and it has stopped working now, I would say that it is very, very likely to be a PSU incompatibility.

Shugster

Warrant Officer
Tried all that, all ok.

Agree with Mingmong...

Stick a large and a small capacitor across the jack plug at the PC end input. :PDT_Xtremez_30:

Or you might get an improvement by running the cable through a choke, (A large ferrite donut), a few times.

As it works on the battery when the supply is as smooth as a babys rear end it looks like you have found the cause yourself.

Back