• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trade Standards

• Thread starter Thread starter k9 fornicators apprentice
  • Start date Start date
K

k9 fornicators apprentice

Can you help me??
During the 1236 courses students are instructed to disconnect the aircraft battery every time a plug is disconnected.what level of safety should be carried out when fault finding in the real world?
Also can anyone give me the A.P Number for 'best trade practice', as this is thrown about a lot at cosford.
Can i also ask if anyone can explain the 'spirit of the JAP', as again it seems a regular phrase when middle management deciede to change the rules regarding engineering practices at cosford.

p.s is my spelling getting better??

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Can you help me??
During the 1236 courses students are instructed to disconnect the aircraft battery every time a plug is disconnected.what level of safety should be carried out when fault finding in the real world? Safety doesn't have a variable setting and surely you, as a good tradesman, would employ the same standards at which ever camp you were working.
Also can anyone give me the A.P Number for 'best trade practice', as this is thrown about a lot at cosford. Doing it by the book, applying common sense and /or experience, following MP's properly, no short cuts, something like that should do.
Can i also ask if anyone can explain the 'spirit of the JAP', as again it seems a regular phrase when middle management deciede to change the rules regarding engineering practices at cosford. Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools. To quote some old greek bloke

Good here innit.

B

Bucc Boy

Can you help me??
During the 1236 courses students are instructed to disconnect the aircraft battery every time a plug is disconnected.what level of safety should be carried out when fault finding in the real world?
Also can anyone give me the A.P Number for 'best trade practice', as this is thrown about a lot at cosford.
Can i also ask if anyone can explain the 'spirit of the JAP', as again it seems a regular phrase when middle management deciede to change the rules regarding engineering practices at cosford.

p.s is my spelling getting better??

You do your trade training and then you go out into the real world and start learning. I must confess that I don't recall ever seeing an AP that tells you how to carry out 'FAULT DIAGNOSIS'. You have your 'half split' method as a guild but the rest is down to personal preference.

If carrying out a voltage check on a plug (without any fuel vapours present) why bother to disconnect the battery (12 - 24 volt) first? I know I wouldn't. As ever, common sense prevails and if you can justify your actions with a rational explanation then stand your ground and work with a bit of individuality. Safety first.

However, while at tossford you must remember that you are being taught by people detached from the real RAF and so to keep the peace........just do what they say and pass out. You learn your own style later.

Back