• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

tranfering to raf but can i tell a white lie about my gcse results

• Thread starter Thread starter sniper338
  • Start date Start date

Realist78

Master of my destiny
They'll probably ask to see the certificate(s). Can I suggest a crash course in English prior to going anywhere near the AFCO.:PDT_Xtremez_19:

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
As I mentioned in the shout box:

Well lying wont do him any good plus he will have to show certificates at his interview no doubt. Lack of integrity would see him being given a flat no! He should check to see whether he actually needs the GCSE's as a transfer.

Anyway dont you need A Levels for Aircrew?

Digzster

Sergeant
hi all
i am currently serving in the army and have done for 9 years and achieved allot and am planning on joing raf as aircrew, My only problem is i only have 3 gcse grade a to c and have 2 ds couls i just tell a little fib and bump my ds to cs or do they write of to the examining boards and get the results can anyone advise me i think that as long as i pass apptitude test gcse results from over 10 years ago shouldnt mean a thing any advise will be good cheers.

:PDT_Xtremez_30:
I despair......... sorry sniper338, if you were accepted at OASC with your written English and other grades as shown in your post, then I for one would be looking at the door to jump ship. I sincerely hope that this is just a trawl.

D

Don Key

If you are transferring to a ground trade you will be offered an apprenticeship appropriate to your trade. Part of that apprenticeship will involve Key Skills (soon to be Functional Skills) at either level 1 or 2.

I would suggest going to your education centre and asking if they can let you have a go at the BKSB assessments. This will tell you what level your maffs and ingerlish are actually at now. You will need to show certificates if you are claiming a qualification, however, if you can achieve a Level 1 or working towards Level 1 result from BKSB that may be accepted in lieu of GCSE certificates. If you have been in for 9 years that would sugest that your last formal education was prior to that and so your certificates are technically life expired anyway (5 year life)

Your education centre can also help you reach Level 1 (or possibly even 2) in maffs and ingerlish.

Good luck

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
hi all
i am currently serving in the army and have done for 9 years and achieved allot and am planning on joing raf as aircrew, My only problem is i only have 3 gcse grade a to c and have 2 ds couls i just tell a little fib and bump my ds to cs or do they write of to the examining boards and get the results can anyone advise me i think that as long as i pass apptitude test gcse results from over 10 years ago shouldnt mean a thing any advise will be good cheers.

:PDT_Xtremez_30:

As they say in arrse "WAH!" :PDT_Xtremez_14:

shiny_arse

SAS Inspector
Of course you should lie, after all they have obviously fibbing to you as well.

You do realise it is not aircrew they are offering you, but actually air steward!!

Hell next up they will be telling you it's a glamourous life of hotels, rates, cheep booze and loose women - bless!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
You don't need A levels for NCA...It used to be 4 GCSE's of which 2 had to be maths and English Language and one a science based subject (for AEOp that is...loadmasters needed to be able to negotiate the revolving door successfully at OASC and they were in!)

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
In a nutshell, you will not be able to tell any "white lies" about your GCSE results. You will be required to prove your education with your certificates, regardless of whether or not you think you have the intelligence to pass OASC. If you cannot prove them, as has been alluded to, integrity will be called into play and you will be chinned off. Integrity may not be such a big issue in the Army, but with us, it is core to us. Maybe something to think about, eh?

O

Ollie2376

The reason they have minimum grade requirements is normally for a reason....

...if you couldnt get the required grades, then you will struggle with the job.

Everyone else works hard at school and gets the grades, so by you lying it makes our efforts pointless!

I cant believe someone going for a career in the RAF would consider lying to get in! Plus who knows what will happen 5 years down the line when it all comes out in the wash that you lied your way in.....i dont think it would be just a slap on the wrist and sent to bed without a cup of hot milk.

Entropy

Sergeant
Here's my slightly revised post to a similar thread. I would say, get on with your application and get ready for the exam in June.

Every thread on this forum has stated how competitive the WSO application process is so sitting your Maths exam should be a no brainer.

"I was in the same boat as you, degree and no basic Maths. Believe me this has been a constant niggle in my conscience for the last 20 years (showing my age here). It has also prevented me from applying for some jobs, who knows where I would be if I only had my Maths O level.

This is what I did:
I mailed Edexcel and asked them for a list of centers that allow "private candidates". Pick one from the list that is near to you and hand over some money to them. They then enroll you for the exam and let you sit it at their center.

I sat my GCSE in Nov and found out earlier this month that I had passed. I followed this route as I wanted to sit the exam ASAP and no course ran for the November exams. So I enrolled as a private candidate and bought some revision books from Amazon then revised for 8 weeks.

The qualifications section of the RAF application form has an expected exams result field, just fill it out with what you think you will get. Also it will show your AFCO your commitment.

So my advice is to do it and do it as soon as you can or it will bug you for the rest of your life."
progress.gif

Back