• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

transfer Territorial Army to RAF

• Thread starter Thread starter j4ckf
  • Start date Start date
J

j4ckf

hi all,

Im currently in the territorial army serving with an infantry reg while im at college, i havnt quite finished basic training yet but i hope to carry on and stay in for 2 or 3 more years while im at college.

would it be possible after iv done a couple of years to transfer into regular RAF, maybe raf firefighter. now im not trying to find a way in through the back door or anything and if i had to do basic training again then so be it, i would just like to know if its possible?

thanks for any replies

R

Reformed Scribbly

Your experience in the TA would be of benefit, however as you are not in one of the regular services, you would still be considered as a civilian entrant and so would still have to undergo the same training as other direct entrants.

P

PrincessFlouncey

i joined the regular RAF after 3 1/2 years in TA, you still have to do basic but TA experience does come in useful! When i did my RAF basic training it was generally split into 3 sections the 1st being general military things kit prep, drill etc. (which TA background helps with but RAF do some things differently!) 2nd phase was mil skills stuff (TA big help) and the 3rd phase was RAF stuff which i was on a total level playing field with everyone else for pretty much.

J

j4ckf

Thanks for the replies

im hoping it will be big help, i tried for RAF fire service about a year ago but failed 3 day selection just because i wasn't fit or didn't stand out enough as some of the other lads so im hoping a couple of years in the TA might help as RAF fire service is all iv wanted to do since i was 16. as iv only got one chance left i need to make myself stand out.

anyone got any standing out ideas?? maybe visiting some RAF fire stations??
im also back at college trying to improve my qualifications.

im also not sure what the TA will say if i leave after a year or two.

Back