• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Transferring between services?

Hey, im currently serving in the RN and am interested in the RAF Regt. and the possibilities on joining, either after the Navy or if possible, by transferring.

I have been told it is possible to transfer but is it realistic that i would be allowed or accepted? And what would i have to do to transfer if possible?
Any help would be great or if anyone knows of someone who has done it.

Many thanks

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Hello mate,

First of all, you have probably gathered that RAF recruiting has taken a major downturn at the moment due to the potential fallout from SDSR. However, at this moment in time, Gnr is still recruiting - for how long, I don't know as taps can be turned down at any time.

You are right that in theory it is possible to transfer from another service. But it should be noted that you will be in competition for places along with civilian applicants and being a current serviceperson will give you no greater advantages in the recruiting process than a civvy - if there are better civvy candidates than you, then you will dip out, simple as. As to whether it's realistic - how long's a piece of string.

Make contact with your local AFCO who will have a chat with you. Ensure that you have permission to transfer from your CO. The AFCO will attain a 'Voluntary Transfer' letter for you. You will then complete the full selection process. Depending on how long you have done will depend on how much service with the RAf you will be offered and in what rank you will start as.

Thanks for that. I know it wouldnt mean i got ahead of the other recruits but just hoped it would be possible to swap. I dont know if the RAF would rather take a brand new recruit though than take someone from the Navy, considering all the paper work there would be. I need to get my fitness up a bit first so il try to pursue it then and see what happens

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Thanks for that. I know it wouldnt mean i got ahead of the other recruits but just hoped it would be possible to swap. I dont know if the RAF would rather take a brand new recruit though than take someone from the Navy, considering all the paper work there would be. I need to get my fitness up a bit first so il try to pursue it then and see what happens

Don't worry about the paperwork that would be generated mate. There are people employed to do transfer paperwork so it's their job. The only factors are a) are there any posts for you and b) are you good enough for entry.

Good luck fella, let us know how you get on.

Back