• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Transferring data from one drive to another

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Hi, I'm a bit of a computer biff and could do with some help. I recently installed a new hardrive into my computer alongside the original. The original (C drive) is only about 16 Gig and the one I installed (J drive) is 80. Now I only have about 900meg left on the C drive and I was wondering how to take everything off of that onto my new J drive as my computer is running really slow and I suspect that is one of the problems. I am running windows XP. Thanks for your help in advance.

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Hi, I'm a bit of a computer biff and could do with some help. I recently installed a new hardrive into my computer alongside the original. The original (C drive) is only about 16 Gig and the one I installed (J drive) is 80. Now I only have about 900meg left on the C drive and I was wondering how to take everything off of that onto my new J drive as my computer is running really slow and I suspect that is one of the problems. I am running windows XP. Thanks for your help in advance.

I wouldnt bother shifting it to be honest. If I was going to move anything, I would take the files that are not associated with windows over.

If you did want to put windows on the new drive then you need to reisntall windows to that drive. You cannot drag and drop installed programs to a new drive. Has registry issues.

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
ASk a local computer person to ghost the data across, this will move all the data to the new drive without screwwing anything up. You will also need to make sure the old XP partition is no longer active.

This can be done using the old FDISK utility.

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I think I'll go with the first idea of just moving across all the stuff that isn't windows related. I just want to clear a little bit of space on the drive after all.

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant
I cleared a load of space by moving the "My Documents" folder to my new drive (load of photos etc.).

If using XP you should be able to right-click the My Docs folder in Windows Explorer and then set it to your new drive. I recommend copying it across and then deleting the old one once you are happy the new folder is OK. As a bonus, if Windows goes tilt and needs to be re-installed, you won't lose everything.

Also, you could move some of the programs across (although you would probably lose any saves in games etc.). Don't just move the folders though, you have to uninstall and then re-install them on your new drive.

Last edited:
C

Comms_Lad

As already said, leave XP on your C: drive but move everything across to the new hard drive, but beware 90GB wont last long.

Nearyly 500GB filled and looking for more storage now lol

M

maninthevan

Comms Lad,

Put some in the internal mail for me will you m8..?

Cheers fella!!

:PDT_Xtremez_28: :PDT_Xtremez_28:

M

maninthevan

Just pass it along to Scaleywife. Don't tell her what it is though... I'll never get it back!!

S

scaleywife

Off Topic No I don't read them... I can't be bothered. What he means though CL is that I will keep it for myself!!! lolOff Topic

Back