• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tu (i) rn

Hello all was hoping for some advice, basically I joined the RN in nov '09 and was sadly discharged TU (I) in June '11 I basically had a hard time adapting to life at sea, a unique lifestyle and one I was uncomfortable in! I had no problems with military life infact I enjoyed all aspects of it I just wasn't keen being at sea, not being away from home or family etc it was actual ship life, so question is could I join the RAF with that in my medical notes? I'm aware the best place to go is AFCO but any advice would be really appreciated

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Hello all was hoping for some advice, basically I joined the RN in nov '09 and was sadly discharged TU (I) in June '11

Hiya. There is a bucket-load of knowledge out here, but I think you are going to have to define precisely what TU (I) means in simple and exact terms.

These fellers are sticklers for that.

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
At a guess, a complete uneducated guess by the way, if you where discharged because you had no sea legs I can't see that being a problem in the RAF. I await to be corrected on the exact terminology but I can't see that being an issue.

At a guess, a complete uneducated guess by the way, if you where discharged because you had no sea legs I can't see that being a problem in the RAF. I await to be corrected on the exact terminology but I can't see that being an issue.
I'd hope so aswell, like a said it wasn't service life because prior to going onboard I had settled in fantastically, never in trouble passed all courses and tests in basic and trade training and was comfortable taking orders from higher rates/ranks and also perfectly fine with being away from home, it was just the actual feeling of being onboard!! I'm 29 now and know that my potential lies in the services and just hope that an unhappy episode in another service doesn't hold me back for possibly joining the RAF!!

gray

Sergeant
Hopefully it wasn't the claustrophobic element of living close together that bothered you (I've done 6+ months onboard), as that might be a bit difficult if you end up on Ops in a 12 man tent !

Apart from that, there's not much to worry about, but there's still the 'closeness' of military life. Ok if you live off base!

G

sulky

SAC

ive spent a bit of time on carriers(when we had them) with chinnys, but i suspect if you can stay away from JSF it wont be an issue

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Realistic answer.

Being discharged TU from the Navy is not necessarily a 100% bar to joining the RAF, however it depends hugely on what is sitting behind that TU flag, a qualified medical person can make that call, nobody else.

And now the realistic bit. No. In the current climate of a shrinking RAF, where good people are currently being made redundant and every recruitment slot has lots of good quality applicants after it, why would they take the risk (and it is a risk) of re-employing somebody who has already proved they are incompatible with at least some aspects of service life.

If there is a big recruitment drive and they start struggling to fill slots you might be OK currently though, I can't see it.

Saying all that, the only people who will be able to tell you for absolutely sure are the AFCO, try them and see what they say.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Also (as has already been said) there are many RAF personnel who end up away at sea. Nothing is guaranteed in the military so I wonder if they would be prepared to take the risk with someone they couldn't deploy anywhere that they may need to deploy them to.

Thanks for the replays everyone, I'm aware that's with defence cuts and redundancies etc getting in with a TU from one of the other services is going to be a big ask and also the fact I'm 29 so fewer branches/trades to apply for!! I'm gonna ring the AFCO go have a chat and hopefully my desire and attitude will be right!! Was thinking possibly gunner but I've not looked at all the options especially considering I'm not 100% certain they'll take me. Fingers crossed!!

Back