• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Turboprop Engine Power Assurance

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Is it possible to perform power assurance on turboprop engines whilst on the ground?

Looking through the engine OMM, providing you have the engine set correctly and have the current static pressure there should be no reason why not. But then again I am a fairy so may be missing something. Anyone any advice??

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Yes, on the Herc K they do Efficiency Runs which prove the performance of the engine. There is another thread in which I asked about Herc Effy runs because I can't remember exactly how they are done.

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
If memory serves, it was fuel flow, OAT, air pressure and torque that were measured and then using the super computer you tagged out of tool stores it spat out a number. When it was too low best job ever designed nned to be done, burner change!
:PDT_Xtremez_32:

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I'll give Herc PT a ring on Monday and see if we can get some more info and a looksie at the procedure.

sumps

Sergeant
Thanks for all the responses. I'll give Herc PT a ring on Monday and see if we can get some more info and a looksie at the procedure.

If Your still in the mob then phone lyneham sooties - number is on the intranet, If not then why not ask a civi operator that uses a similar type to what you need? - You may be starting further down the path than you need to unless you are operating the T56 or 2100. What engine / prop combo' are you running?

Bikerbill

LAC
Definitive answer

Definitive answer

Gents (and ladies),

I think I have the definitive answer to your question.

To do an effy run you will need the OAT and pressure altitude. You get this by setting the altimeter to 1013mb. Then operate the engines in symetrical pairs, leave the one not being checked at 15,000 lb Tq, then advance to either 19,600 Tq or 1050 deg C, which ever occurs first. Make a note of the other reading as well as this is the one you will need to fill in the chart or calculator. You do not need fuel flow, but must ensure all loads are removed from the engine being tested, so no bleed air, hydraulic or electrical loads.

The limits are 96% - 108%. If the engine is low on performance doing a comp wash (or grit wash) will normally get you about 3 or 4% of efficency back.

The graph at the back of MP366 (engine test) is complicated when you first look at it but is really quite good once you know where the lines are meant to go. The calculator must be loaded with the latest software otherwise the info is not correct.

There is also a computer programme 'borrowed' from R-R that is now on some machines that is very simple to use. I have one on my machine in the K-school.

Hope this helps, if not please feel free to contact me in KHeMS.

Back