• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twickers is no more

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Rather than put this in the Rugby Club, I thought this would get more exposure here

Twickenham, the home of English Rugby will be renamed to....

Allianz Stadium.

Not a good move in my opinion.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Nothing to do with union or tradition and all to do with MONEY MONEY MONEY. Thats the only reason football stadia have new daft names MONEY seems the old amateur sport of Union is finally jumping on the corporate sponsor ship bandwagon.

Deltaitem

Corporal
It's the way of the world. Footie grounds have gone that way for a long time, and for me, a major concert goer, I've been lamenting things for years. Odeons, exhibition centres, arenas have long since been renamed at the altar of corporate sponsorship.
I guess that's capitalism for you.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Twickenham is just another way to lose some profits for tax purposes.
Big international business monoliths don't usually do charity or philanthropy unless it generates nice PR and helps the bottom line.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
Nothing to do with union or tradition and all to do with MONEY MONEY MONEY. Thats the only reason football stadia have new daft names MONEY seems the old amateur sport of Union is finally jumping on the corporate sponsor ship bandwagon.
Did that 30 years ago. Why English Rugby is in such a mess and clubs going to the wall.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Did that 30 years ago. Why English Rugby is in such a mess and clubs going to the wall.
English Rugby league is solvent but not wealthy. Union on the other clung to the supposed "amateur" facade for to many years with boot allowances, mileage payments and other ways to pay players under the counter before finally embracing actually paying people to play their game like other sports such as cricket, football and league had done for years. Once Union went professional and paid players it became a business with a purpose of making money, to make a profit or fold. At best to keep the club name teams could drop down many levels and stay almost amateur. The rose tinted glasses, public school view, of Union good old boys supporting the "Old Fartothians" second 15 are now footnotes in history. The demise of Welsh union and the marginilisation of its once famous clubs all now subsumed into regional teams is an example of what has gone wrong with Union. But it is right that players are paid, that players who risk serious harm every time they take the field are properly renumerated for playing a game that in an instant could result in a life changing injury.

Last edited:

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
English Rugby league is solvent but not wealthy. Union on the other clung to the supposed "amateur" facade for to many years with boot allowances, mileage payments and other ways to pay players under the counter before finally embracing actually paying people to play their game like other sports such as cricket, football and league had done for years. Once Union went professional and paid players it became a business with a purpose of making money, to make a profit or fold. At best to keep the club name teams could drop down many levels and stay almost amateur. The rose tinted glasses, public school view, of Union good old boys supporting the "Old Fartothians" second 15 are now footnotes in history. The demise of Welsh union and the marginilisation of its once famous clubs all now subsumed into regional teams is an example of what has gone wrong with Union. But it is right that players are paid, that players who risk serious harm every time they take the field are properly renumerated for playing agame that in an instant could result in a life changing injury.
I talk to a major supporter and ex directors of Newcastle Falcons (and I do ask him how they are getting out of the hole they are in now). Clubs need sugar daddies that stay in the fold or die. It is semi professional in supporters of each club. Unless you are a rich French club backer.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
English Rugby league is solvent but not wealthy. Union on the other clung to the supposed "amateur" facade for to many years with boot allowances, mileage payments and other ways to pay players under the counter before finally embracing actually paying people to play their game like other sports such as cricket, football and league had done for years. Once Union went professional and paid players it became a business with a purpose of making money, to make a profit or fold. At best to keep the club name teams could drop down many levels and stay almost amateur. The rose tinted glasses, public school view, of Union good old boys supporting the "Old Fartothians" second 15 are now footnotes in history. The demise of Welsh union and the marginilisation of its once famous clubs all now subsumed into regional teams is an example of what has gone wrong with Union. But it is right that players are paid, that players who risk serious harm every time they take the field are properly renumerated for playing agame that in an instant could result in a life changing injury.
I talk to a major supporter and ex directors of Newcastle Falcons (and I do ask him how they are getting out of the hole they are in now). Clubs need sugar daddies that stay in the fold or die. It is semi professional in supporters of each club. Unless you are a rich French club backer. The game has been professional legally for 29 years.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
You can call it 'Stadium McStadium Face' but the bloke in the pub will always refer to it as Twickenham...Not Twickers either unless you like it up the wrong'un.

Back