• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Typical length of service?

• Thread starter Thread starter chrisc
  • Start date Start date
C

chrisc

This may be an impertinent question given the amount the RAF has to invest in training its members, and I entirely understand why the stipulations on minimum length of service exist - but at the same time, 12 years is a long time. Do people normally serve their initial full term plus, or is there a wide variety?

As an aside, this site has been a fantastic source of information for me whilst I am preparing for that initial AFCO visit. Apologies if the question seems like im getting a bit ahead of myself when I haven't even visited the place yet.

HotspurIDO

I'm not fecking BRANCH!
Gone are the days where you have to stay for the duration of your contract or 'buy yourself out'.

The RAF does however need a return of service from you, as you pointed out they'll have invested a lot of time, effort and budget in getting you trained. This return of service is three years (from end of training I believe), after which time should you wish you can apply for PVR ie get out of your contract and leave the Service. How long you have to wait between applying for PVR and the actual date you're allowed to go depends on your trade and rank at the time. It can be anything from 6-18 months.

That said, twelve years may well seem like a long time, but you are applying for a vocational career, not just a job. You need to think long and hard about what you are about to do if you are already having doubts.

C

chrisc

Thanks for the information. It's not about having doubts, more of wanting to prepare for all eventualities.

Time for the trip down to see if any of the roles im interested in are open, or if not when they might be.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
No fixed length

No fixed length

You will do the length of service that suits you and your abilities.

Some people don't even turn to Halton on their first day, whilst others hang on till the very end (normally 55 but can sometimes go further).

Enjoy it while you can then get on with your life.

Back