• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Undecided as yet...

• Thread starter Thread starter 878
  • Start date Start date

Hi,

I was considering joining the raf a few years ago, but due to a few family issues, decided to leave it at the time...

Over the past few months, I have been looking at and considering again, a career with the raf. However, I'm not to sure as yet what to apply for...

I have been looking at a few of the available careers and looked at personnel, logistics and various IT / intelligence options.

I would prefer a career as an officer but I am unsure if I would be better applying as an airman and working up the ranks... I am only 21 but I have the scottish version of the required a levels as highers in both business management and admin and various other qualifications from school. As well as these, I have a HNC in I.T including various oracle dba, tech support etc qualifications and some work experience as well.

I am looking to visit the AFCO soon neways in regard to this but just looking for a litle more info / advice before doing so...

Progression wise, for instance if I did join up as an airman, how long on average would it take to have the opportunity to apply to be an officer or be promoted to one??

Been honest, at the moment, I wouldn't say that I was extremely fit however, reading varius posts so far, it seems that by time of applying until the pre-joining fitness test and other fitness tests, I would have more than ample time to get this back up-to-par.

Finally, is it possible to arrange a station visit through the AFCO and visit those who do the roles i am intersted in??

Also, been told that the RAF look at your interests outside of work... unfortunatly, the jobs I have had over the past few years work various hours so I have been unable to do much outside work.. I previous done boxing for around 5years previous and would loe to go back.
Would this go against me or is there anything you recomend that I can do or take up or join before applying??

Cheers ;-)

Last edited:
Back