• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Uni coursework - Nimrod Take-Off Speed?

Terrorfex

LAC
Mods - if this isn't the correct sub-forum, please feel free to move the topic and punish me for my insolence.

Gents, I'm in the middle of some coursework for my Aircraft Engineering degree. I'm picking an engine and aircraft and crunching the numbers in MATLAB. I'd like to do something a bit more interesting than the generic civilian airliners, and I'd quite like to have a go at the Nimrod. There's no problem on finding data on the RR Spey.

I've found most of the information I need but, unfortunately, I can't find the Take-Off Speed for any of the variants. Is anyone in a position to give me an idea? With the aircraft's withdrawal from service I thought it'd be fine to ask.

So, if anyone is able to shed some light on what the Take-Off speed is for either the R1/MR2/MRA4 that'd be extremely useful.

Thanks!

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Mods - if this isn't the correct sub-forum, please feel free to move the topic and punish me for my insolence.

Gents, I'm in the middle of some coursework for my Aircraft Engineering degree. I'm picking an engine and aircraft and crunching the numbers in MATLAB. I'd like to do something a bit more interesting than the generic civilian airliners, and I'd quite like to have a go at the Nimrod. There's no problem on finding data on the RR Spey.

I've found most of the information I need but, unfortunately, I can't find the Take-Off Speed for any of the variants. Is anyone in a position to give me an idea? With the aircraft's withdrawal from service I thought it'd be fine to ask.

So, if anyone is able to shed some light on what the Take-Off speed is for either the R1/MR2/MRA4 that'd be extremely useful.

Thanks!
3/10 must try harder - from google search - Piloted by Flt Lt Gary Laing and co-pilot Flt Lt Gordon Fairlie, XV231 took off from Runway 25 at 16:05 local time, with a rotation speed of 122kt (225km/h) and a flap setting of 20°. Our aircraft was carrying 19,050kg (42,000lb) of fuel, and with fine weather conditions, our diversion location was set as Aberdeen airport.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/on-board-nimrod-flight-kinloss-453-339942/

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
On the sim I remember landing speed to stick around 135 knots but if you want the exact info just post in the military section on p-prune, you will get any answer you ask on stuff like as the sky gods love to talk facts like that.

E

enginesuck

I would definitely post this question on www.pprune.org in the military aircrew section, there will be recent nimrod aircrew who will be able to advise precisely, also you need to ratio in fuel loads - anyway go to pprune you should get more sense there.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The take-off speed, as in any variant, is affected by all up weight, wind speed and direction, airfield height, temperature and runway condition (dry/wet/snow/ice).

Obviously if you're heavy then the aircraft needs more lift to get airborne therefore more speed on the take-off run. Aircraft always endeavor to take-off into wind as this assists it's intention to get airborne and reduces the ground speed required. If the wind isn't blowing right down the runway then some calculation is required to work out what the crosswind factor is (also for landing as well). In the inside cover of the yellow Flight Information Handbook (FIH) there is table that does basic calculations for you which helped me out when collecting weathers on Nims and forming opinions on where we would end up landing that day. Height of airfield affects take off speed as the higher you go the thinner the air gets so higher = faster to get the lift. Wet runway meant a slightly faster take-off speed (about a knot normally) due to the resistance to the tires I guess.

You would collect all that information and crunch the numbers either on a toughbook or using the operating manual graphs always held in the cockpit...Both pilots would do it and would the eng independently to ensure that it was sanity checked...they were then briefed to the rest of the crew as 80 kts, V1 and Rotate speed. 80 kts was the standard speed that the rudder became dominant over the nose wheel for steering. V1 was the speed calculated using all the above factors and runway length...this was the speed where after you had to get airborne as there wasn't enogh tarmac left to stop the aircraft without risk. Rotate speed was the the point when the stick was eased rearwards to get the nose up and flight would be achieved.

Without the graphs it's hard to be exact but from memory using a standard ops/ct fuel load of 60,000lbs of fuel, at Kinloss, wind of say 20 degrees off at 12-15 kts on a dry day with a standard crew and sonar buoy load then the speeds would be around 80/ V1 -127/Rotate -145.

The more nervous take-off runs were at Gibraltar where it's about 6000 feet and normally stinky hot...with 80,000lbs and a oversize sonar buoy load + crew + enough grub for 8 hours and water at each end the runway markers went by too quickly for your speed sometimes and it was at the piano keys that you left mother earth!

Thanks!

Without wishing to state the bleedin obvious you do know that the MRA 4 wan't fitted with Speys and the wing was therefore different (which may have affected runway speeds?)

Jimp

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Not forgetting the late yet unlamented AEW3 variant

Back