• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

University v RAF

University v RAF

• Complete the degree and then join RAF

Votes: 24 92.3%
  • Apply to join RAF immediately

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Apply to join university air squadron

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • University air squadron isn't worth much

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PercyPig

LAC
Hello all.

I have just finished my first year at university studying business management. I want to enter into the RAF as a personnel support officer.

I visited my local AFCO yesterday and after a thorough discussion with the officer there he said based upon our meeting he would be very happy to put me through to OASC now even before the end of my degree, and that I could be very successful in my application due to my roles of responsibility and work ethic.

My question is, would it be worth my while completing my degree before applying to the RAF or going for it now? I know that there are opportunities for forces personnel to continue education during employment, but are these few and far between or as easy to come by as the advertising makes out?

When I mentioned University Air Squadrons he did not seem to place much value on it other than to say they would be able to provide a good reference for OASC, performance dependent.

I would be grateful for some more points of view, especially from anyone who has been in similar junctions in their lives!

Thanks

fletch049

LAC
Depends on what you would like you could apply now and if you get accepted do your training get paid then when your at your 1st station start your degree if you can do it by distance learning, or would you prefer to get through uni with all the hassle of paying for everything and getting into debt. You could apply and get refused but still do uni, I've heard sometimes they can knock you back the 1st time you apply to see if you correct what they pick up on and to see if you reapply. Good luck with what ever you decide

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
If you are good enough today you'll be good enough tomorrow, although rules change all the time.

You can get a degree once you're in the Service and you'll get funding to help as well so it's not a no no but you'll not get the university experience. However, the Forces experience can be quite an offset, even in these more cost concious times.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Get your degree then apply. The maturity that another two years at university [if spent wisely] will achieve will stand you in good stead compared to jumping ship now and coming across. It's not so much of a life-long move for the commissioned chap and at some point you will possibly need to work elsewhere. After 25 years of service and almost 2 years in civvy street I can verify that if you come to me as ex-service without a degree compared to with a degree the pay packet, no matter what you've done in service, will be less in remuneration with the former...considerably less.

It is possible within the service to get your degree but with foreign travel, courses, day to day work etc it can be a real pain in the ar$e and elongated process to complete. My opinion would be to finish your degree then enter service with the means to leave when you reach your 'no tolerance' point equipped suitably...

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
Get your degree then apply. The maturity that another two years at university [if spent wisely] will achieve will stand you in good stead compared to jumping ship now and coming across. It's not so much of a life-long move for the commissioned chap and at some point you will possibly need to work elsewhere. After 25 years of service and almost 2 years in civvy street I can verify that if you come to me as ex-service without a degree compared to with a degree the pay packet, no matter what you've done in service, will be less in remuneration with the former...considerably less.

It is possible within the service to get your degree but with foreign travel, courses, day to day work etc it can be a real pain in the ar$e and elongated process to complete. My opinion would be to finish your degree then enter service with the means to leave when you reach your 'no tolerance' point equipped suitably...

Yet again, Vim speaks words of wisdom. The RAF is not likely to be your only employer between now and your 68th. Valuable as my Service experience has been to me, if I was forced to choose it would be university (very possibly with RAFR part-time) - as long as it was the right course at the right uni at the right time.

PercyPig

LAC
Thank you for great responses!

I have been to OASC before and it is a long term goal to become a member of the RAF and when the carrot was dangled in front of me last week I found it very tempting to jump ahead of plans! I had not thought about how dropping out of university would reflect on my commitment.

You are right, I need to be as employable as possible, for greatest chance of getting in and also for if I don't and afterwards. 2 years will fly by, especially if they go as quickly as the first has!

Roll on September for UAS applications!

FOMz

Warrant Officer
One thing.. If you get onto a UAS... Its nothing like RAF life despite what they try and tell you and don't get suckered into thinking it is.

PercyPig

LAC
One thing.. If you get onto a UAS... Its nothing like RAF life despite what they try and tell you and don't get suckered into thinking it is.

Could you give me detail please?
Apart from the obvious living in and physical training, wouldn't it be a good way to get to grips with colloquialisms and the hierarchy, routines etc?

FOMz

Warrant Officer
A UAS is in effect a private flying club for Uni students who want to join the RAF. Potential aircrew get flying training and graded, but seeing the behaviour of some of the members over the years because they stay in the zobs mess, and how they swan about and think they can treat people stinks. If they tried it outsde the gate, they would be on the receiving end of a good learning. And from bitter experience with UWAS trashing my BB one weekend and just walking away thinking others will sort out the mess and damage (as would happen in the zobs mess), I on the whole have a fairly low opinion of them.

Back