• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

VHS to DVD Tips req'd

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I'm trying to convert some old VHS tapes to DVD. (No they're not educational before all the abuse and innuendo starts).

Has anyone tried this before and have they any tips.
The tapes are all prerecorded ones.

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
I'm trying to convert some old VHS tapes to DVD. (No they're not educational before all the abuse and innuendo starts).

Take a big hammer and tenderise them to about 1mm thick, then use scissors to reduce the diameter until they fit in your DVD drawer !

Hope this helps !

:PDT_Xtremez_14:

Lobby1234

LAC
How to do it

How to do it

Ive done this a lot.

Simply buy a cheap TV tuner card for you PC, around £25 and hook your vhs out into this(normal AV socket). Install the tv tuner then plug the vhs into the tuner the tune to the VHS out frequency. All tv tuner cards let you record from an AV input at different qualities Low = Fast High = slow. Make sure the quality is as maximum as your PC allows or you want it to be. Then use nero burning type software to convert and burn the resultant .mpg file that the tv tuner will create onto to a DVD.

Its just a wee bit time consuming but it works.

I can record a normal film from TV or Sky or VHS and put it onto a DVD quite easily.

L

Lofty0312

done it loads of times
just connect my vcr upto my dvd recorder via scart cables and press record
no problems yet
:PDT_Xtremez_30:

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I've tried the one going in through the aerial connector of my tv card and have trouble with the protection stuff on the tapes. has anyone tried this Dazzle DVD creator?

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
I've tried the one going in through the aerial connector of my tv card and have trouble with the protection stuff on the tapes. has anyone tried this Dazzle DVD creator?

I tried the Dazzle device a couple of years back but had a few problems with sound synch and video stutter. The sound was captured through the soundcard if I remember rightly.
I got it exhanged for the Pinnacle Moviebox which allows you to capture from analogue as well as modern DV formats. It works well enough for me and I've used it to transfer all my old VHS home vids on to DVD.

OK..Igiveup

Corporal
Easy Option

Easy Option

The easiest way is the video to DVD recorder mentioned above. No compression or synch issues, WYSIWYG.
If you get your PC in the way it needs to be a good one. Especially if you are planning on editing your nature videos.
I tried it with a cheap cature card and the file size becomes huge or I ran into problems trying to burn it on the fly.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I've gone through every connection combination with my vcr and dvd recorder plus every PAL NTSC RGB S Video combo that i can get...lol....AAAAAArgh it don't work so i think i'll have to go through the pc route. It's a dual core pentium running at 2.93 with a 256 graphics card. Is this enough?

gray

Sergeant

Try something like these:

http://www.im-uk.net/dvd/products/macmaster.html?gclid=CLezpubyjY0CFQnnlAodgj9Ljw

http://www.consolesandgadgets.co.uk/catalog/macromaster-macrovision-remover-p-2119.html

or have a look on ebay for macrovision removal.

These cost around £40+ but you can always sell it on when you're finished.

Gray

Back