• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Virus - Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
My son's laptop appears to have been infected. On questioning the little so and so, it appears he has been looking at some "Adult" sites, and may have clicked on a few buttons he shouldn't have. I switched his lappy on and there was no sign of the previous settings I had installed; Zone Alarm and AVG had been deleted and a new programme had been installed called Data Protection. This programme can't be uninstalled, or deleted from the programme files, and it also appears to have disabled the Task Manager facility. I have managed, after 4 hours to download and reinstall Zone Alarm, but when downloading AVG it asked me to uninstall Data Protection which was not listed in the programmes which could ne downloaded. I can'd do anything further, because I'm at the limit of my knowledge. Do you goaters have any advice on how to get this rubbish removed from the laptop? Keep it simple please..

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Enzo, one of the chaps at work managed to get his lappy infected with the sister program to this one. That was removed by doing a system restore from the previous week. But it re-appeared!
There are several sites on the web that take you through the process of removing these beggars, here's one...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-data-protection

Its a bit convoluted and does involve editing the registry, but the procedure is laid out stage by stage.

Good luck

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
There's a few of these nasties doing the rounds at the moment, another one that I've had the (dis)pleasure of dealing over the past couple of days is called "Security Tools" - it does pretty much exactly what that one does. The guide and software I used to get rid of it came from the same site as above.
The tw@s that write these horrible bits of software needs a bit of lead in their ears!:PDT_Xtremez_32:

Last edited:

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
Many thanks - the script was basic enough even for me to follow. The scan is running as we speak, so hopefully all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back