• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vista freezes

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Had a new laptop for a few months with Vista installed. Problem is; PC freezes whenever it feels like it. Can't even move the cursor. Anyone come across a fix?
The only one I've heard about is re-formatting the HD and reloading Vista but I haven't got a spare disc large enough to store Vista before the formatting. I've tried cleaning out the registry, defrag. etc. to no avail.

Ping

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Does your computer enable you to make a back/bootable rescue disc?
Mine didnt have Vista on disc and I can make a rescue type disc for those special moments!

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Had a new laptop for a few months with Vista installed. Problem is; PC freezes whenever it feels like it. Can't even move the cursor. Anyone come across a fix?
The only one I've heard about is re-formatting the HD and reloading Vista but I haven't got a spare disc large enough to store Vista before the formatting. I've tried cleaning out the registry, defrag. etc. to no avail.

Ping

What version of Vista are you running and with what enhancements? Also, what specification is your laptop?

A

Albert Park

Yes. Install XP. You'll thank me for it.

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
What version of Vista are you running and with what enhancements? Also, what specification is your laptop?

Windows Vista home Premium Version 6.0

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5610Z, Pentium dual core T2060 (1.6Ghz, 533MHz, 1Mb L2 cache)
160GB HDD, 2GB DDR2 RAM.

No known enhancements,

Thanks for any help in advance!

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Trying upgrading to the latest BIOS for your system http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_5610.html sometimes that cures the problem 9make sure you backup your files before doing this!!)

Another thing to try would be to trun off the Aero function if it's enabled as it can slow down slower spec computers (although yours seems fine).

MP

The what ? They can make chocolate ? :PDT_Xtremez_17:

seriously, WTH is that ?

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
Pingdit if the computer is a brand new one would it not be under guarantee, if so ask the supplier for advice, additionally has it done this ever since you got it or has it just started freezing recently. If it has just started what has changed/been added to the computer before it started freezing.

Off Topic As an aside I finally cracked and loaded Vista Home Premium onto my second hard drive and I am well impressed (I know it does not take much these days) and have had no problems so far so I will not be returning to XP.

Last edited:
N

NotAnIDOYet

Yes. Install XP. You'll thank me for it.

Totally agree, the Missus's new work laptop came with Vista and was slow as hell. Flattened and XP'd and not a problem in sight now!

When MS stop beta-testing their new software on the buying public I may start buying it!

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Virus? I have a laptop with Vista and if the wireless card is left to 'on', it will pick up any network it can sans permission and try and update itself/any progs on there. Maybe some crap through the back door? Just a thought.

K

Kernow

The what ? They can make chocolate ? :PDT_Xtremez_17:

seriously, WTH is that ?

Lifted direct from the Vista Help

Windows Aero is the premium visual experience of Windows Vista. It features a translucent glass design with subtle window animations and new window colors.

Windows Aero features glass-like windows for an open look

Aero’s distinctive visual style combines the appearance of lightweight, translucent windows with powerful graphic advances. With Aero, you can enjoy visually appealing effects and appearance and also benefit from better access to your programs.

Glass effects

Translucent glass windows create depth on the desktop

One of Aero’s more visually obvious features is glass window borders, which let you focus on the contents of your open windows. Window behavior has also been redesigned, with subtle animations accompanying the minimizing, maximizing, and repositioning of windows to appear more smooth and effortless.

Tint your windows using the provided colors, or mix your own custom color

You can even fine-tune the color and appearance of windows, the Start menu, and the taskbar by tinting your translucent windows. Select one of the provided colors, or create your own custom color using the color mixer.

Switching between programs

Windows Flip 3D

Part of the Windows Aero experience is Windows Flip 3D, which is a way to arrange your open windows in a three-dimensional stack that you can quickly flip through without having to click the taskbar.

Pointing to a window's taskbar button displays a preview of the window

Aero also includes taskbar previews for your open windows. When you point to a taskbar button, you'll see a thumbnail-sized preview of the window, whether the content of the window is a document, a photo, or even a running video.

Switching windows with ALT+TAB

Even the method of pressing ALT+TAB for switching windows has been giving an update. Instead of simple icons, you can see live previews of the windows for each open program.

How do I get Windows Aero?
The following editions of Windows Vista include Aero:

Windows Vista Business

Windows Vista Enterprise

Windows Vista Home Premium

Windows Vista Ultimate

Hope this helps

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Dont rule out a hardware snag. If you can, restore the machine into its factory delivered state and see if the failure continues (some laptops come with a hidden partition with the factory install and provide a disk...dunno if they do with Vista though, knowing how large it is).

All sorts of hardware faults could cause a lock-up. This is a longshot but you could see if you have more than one memory module in fitted, usually accessable via a small panel. If there are two fitted, you could run the machine with one or the other fitted. If you have a duff memory module then the fault may go away...like I said, a long-shot.

Does the laptop freeze with no input? Is it only when its warm? Is there a safe mode in Vista?? If yes, does it crash in the same way? If not, then it is probably an OS/driver issue. Are you overclocking the gfx? Have you updated any drivers, can you roll back?

Sammers

LAC
If you've only had the lappy for a few months, have you tried contacting the vendor you got it from ? In the long run, that might be the safest way of doing things...

If it's not a hard hang, i.e. it comes back after a while, then it's likely to be vista doing some of wierdness in the background... File indexing is a favourite chug monster, as is readyboost... it caches lots of the stuff it needs to run into any special memory or any memory device you plug in... Try this website for some optimisation tips

www.tweakvista.com

But from personal experience, I'd still go with letting the vendor know... No doubt they'll suggest you rebuild it from the rescue disks, so back up your data before you send it to them... Or in case they want the laptop back to look at.

Good luck !

Sammers.

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Some excellent advice, thanks to all of you. It happens even when I turn the machine on and it's cold. Sometimes it'll freeze 4 times within 10 minutes necessitating a reboot on each occasion. Other times, like today, it never freezes. Very frustrating. I've started by subscribing to Driver Agent to update (on a new computer?) many of my drivers. I'll let you know what the fix is - if I find it!

Ping

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Virus? I have a laptop with Vista and if the wireless card is left to 'on', it will pick up any network it can sans permission and try and update itself/any progs on there. Maybe some crap through the back door? Just a thought.

You win the star prize!
Just found out it was my TV sender going from my living room to one of the bedroom's TV's. Switched off the sender - problem fixed!

Just one problem remaining now - unable to create a backup.
I have administrator rights, but keep getting:

Access denied: error 0x80070005

Searched every blog possible to no avail - any takers?

Cheers,

Ping

A

Albert Park

Try this:

File Backup fails with the following error:

Access is denied. (0x80070005)
This error occurs because the recovery partition is enabled for File Backup or System Restore and is almost full. To work around this, do not select D:\ as a backup source. Also, go to System Protection in Control Panel and make sure that D:\ is not enabled for restore points.

Source

Back