• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wanting to join as an Intelligence Officer however i only have a GCSE Level C in Math

Djentz

LAC
Hi, Im wanting to join as an Intelligence Officer however one of the requirements is that you have to have a GCSE Level B in Maths (i only have a level C). I was looking at doing a learn direct course while im in my 3rd year of University but i just wanted to confirm whether the level 2 course counts, the RAF website does say GCSE level B or equivalent so i reckon i should be ok however i just wanted to see whether anyone else has had to do this.

Cheers

The AFCO's will tell you that you must have the grade B and that there is no way around it.
However, I am reliably informed that this isn't true. If you have other qualifications above and beyond those required and if it is just 1 grade in 1 subject then it shouldn't preclude you from applying. As long as you pass the interviews at the AFCO and the interviewing officer is happy to recommend you for OASC, and provided you pass OASC, then it is up to the board at Cranwell to decide if they want to take you on based on your individual merits as a candidate and your aptitude scores.
So no, it shouldn't stop you from applying (although the AFCO will tell you otherwise) but it might harm your competetiveness as a candidate.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
The AFCO's will tell you that you must have the grade B and that there is no way around it.
However, I am reliably informed that this isn't true. If you have other qualifications above and beyond those required and if it is just 1 grade in 1 subject then it shouldn't preclude you from applying
. As long as you pass the interviews at the AFCO and the interviewing officer is happy to recommend you for OASC, and provided you pass OASC, then it is up to the board at Cranwell to decide if they want to take you on based on your individual merits as a candidate and your aptitude scores.
So no, it shouldn't stop you from applying (although the AFCO will tell you otherwise) but it might harm your competetiveness as a candidate.

Not so my friend. The minimum educational standards stated by the AFCOs are hard and fast, so they are indeed correct - there IS no way round it. OASC themselves set the requirements, in conjunction with I of R. If GCSE Maths at grade B is stated, then that is the minimum requirement for that branch. There are plenty of applicants for the RAF who have degrees, A Levels, etc and there equivalent quals knocking on the door but if they do not have the requisite GCSE/A Level grades then they get turned away. You would be surprised at the amount of science-related graduates coming to AFCOs who want to join the aptitude based branches and do not have grade C maths that are turned away as they require a B.

Simple solution is if you require a grade B, then retake GCSE maths and ensure that you reach the required standard.

Good luck.

Back