• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Weapon Tech, Aircraft Tech ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Wilkesy
  • Start date Start date
W

Wilkesy

Hey there,
I've been looking around the site lately and "Google'ing" quite a few searches as to find out information about the Weapon Tech and Aircraft Tech(Mechanical) trades from personnel that are currently or have recently served under either of these trades.

However I can't seem to find much information if barely any at all apart from the bare minimum on the RAF Careers website.

I was just wondering what usual life is like on a UK air base as either of these trades, what the fitness requirements are for the jobs, what scores are needed for the aptitude tests etc.

Basically any information will help, cheers! :PDT_Xtremez_30:

Just for the record I am 16, just left school at the end of the last academic year and went onto begin studying for my A-Levels at Gateshead College, however after settling I've realised that it isn't for me.

So i've began looking back at the RAF again, as this is what i wanted to do for a few years when i was younger.

W

Wilkesy

Aye, about 10 minutes after posting this I found the post about the Weapon Tech, cheers anyway mate.

I know, apparently Aircraft Tech is one of the most expensive trades you learn for free in the RAF too so thats a bonus I guess.

I reckon id much prefert Weapon Tech over Aircraft Tech though.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
have a gander here

http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=22290

I was faced with the same problem when i applied in March, I went for weapons tech and that was shut so i changed to amm (av) and i am glad i did as if you think about it aircraft technician is a much more useable trade on civvy street when you do get out,

Can I just say that your last line isn't true in the slightest. The training, skills, qualifications and experience you gain in engineering as a W Tech put you on a par with the 'aircraft' trades when you leave the service.

Top tip for you new lads, do not leave the RAF with less than a HNC, Degree is preferable. Also, once you've completed your qualifications, have a look at professional registration.

Back