• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WEP keys and Wireless Networks

jack brew

Sergeant
My router (Linksys WRT54GS) seems to reset the WEP key every so often so that if I don't regularly check it, I am running an unsecured network - open to bandwidth pikeys to rob it! Why does it reset? There is no (obvoius) time-lapse option for the password.

Anyone got one of these? Or know the answer?

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
My router (Linksys WRT54GS) seems to reset the WEP key every so often so that if I don't regularly check it, I am running an unsecured network - open to bandwidth pikeys to rob it! Why does it reset? There is no (obvoius) time-lapse option for the password.

Anyone got one of these? Or know the answer?

Sounds faulty. Have you checked for firmware updates? Even if you lose power, it should hold onto the settings. Does it retain the setttings to connect to you ISP?

jack brew

Sergeant
As far as I can tell, yes. The firmware is 1.52.2, the most recent version.

It's not a problem as such, just annoying!!!

Warning the following post will be written in biff speak by a very thick person, please ensure all replies are written in the same language and aimed at a bloke who couldn't find his own arse with both hands where it comes to computers:

I too have a Linksys router thing. Early this morning some wazzock put a JCB through a power line and blacked the street out for nearly two hours. On firing up my laptop when the power was restored it would appear that the wireless network has gone insecure, how do I restore it to stop all and sundry downloading on my network?

Here is the rub. My daughter put the wireless network doodah in and she is currently sunning herself in Cape Verde for another week, so I can't use the 'I fix your car when it goes wrong so get round here now and fix my network' routine. I seem to recall that when she set it up that she had to put a big long password in too and I have no chance of finding where she has left it

So, how do I make it all secure again? and if the password thing needs putting it in is there anyway of finding out what it is? I have looked on the box with the two aerials on and it doesn't have any long numbers on?

All help appreciated!

Oh yeah. If she ever tells a story about how she asked me if I had a wireless when we were setting it up, I can categorically deny replying very proudly that I had just bought a new DAB and it sounded great.

Jimps

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Warning the following post will be written in biff speak by a very thick person, please ensure all replies are written in the same language and aimed at a bloke who couldn't find his own arse with both hands where it comes to computers:

I too have a Linksys router thing. Early this morning some wazzock put a JCB through a power line and blacked the street out for nearly two hours. On firing up my laptop when the power was restored it would appear that the wireless network has gone insecure, how do I restore it to stop all and sundry downloading on my network?

Here is the rub. My daughter put the wireless network doodah in and she is currently sunning herself in Cape Verde for another week, so I can't use the 'I fix your car when it goes wrong so get round here now and fix my network' routine. I seem to recall that when she set it up that she had to put a big long password in too and I have no chance of finding where she has left it

So, how do I make it all secure again? and if the password thing needs putting it in is there anyway of finding out what it is? I have looked on the box with the two aerials on and it doesn't have any long numbers on?

All help appreciated!

Oh yeah. If she ever tells a story about how she asked me if I had a wireless when we were setting it up, I can categorically deny replying very proudly that I had just bought a new DAB and it sounded great.

Jimps

Hiya Jimps,

Can't help through first hand knowledge as I have BT homehub but a quick search on the net found "Linksys WRT54G wireless security guide - How to configure WEP"

Looks simple enough to follow through.

Best of luck and Crack on.....................:PDT_Xtremez_09:

Studley dangerfcuk

Flight Sergeant
My first thought is why use WEP, when WPA2 is alot more secure. Do you get that option with your router.

Studley :PDT_Xtremez_28::PDT_Xtremez_28:

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
Even if the router supports WPA there are some older wireless cards that can only support WEP.

TBH it would still take a dedicated hacker quite a bit of time and knowledge to hack (even if they could) a WEP broadcast.

Plus the transit van full of speccy geeks sat outside your front door would be a bit more obvious

It would be quite a lot of bother to go to to nose through your mucky photos and illegally downloaded mp3's.

Much easier to mess about with one with no protection on at all.

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
TBH it would still take a dedicated hacker quite a bit of time and knowledge to hack (even if they could) a WEP broadcast.

There are some attacks on WEP keys that require a substantially lower number of packets so less time to break.

As a recommendation use WPA/WPA2(AES or TKIP) hide the SSID, add MAC address filtering and probably turn of DHCP allocation for your router.

Last edited:
G

gemarriott

aint the tinterweb grand. It learns you a whole new language!

G

gemarriott

There are some attacks on web keys that require a substantially lower number of packets so less time to break.

As a recommendation use WPA/WPA2(AES or TKIP) hide the SSID, add MAC address filtering and probably turn of DHCP allocation for your router.

and in English for the mongs pleese:PDT_Xtremez_17:

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
and in English for the mongs pleese:PDT_Xtremez_17:

WPA/WPA2 is a better encryption standard
AES/TKIP are the encryption algorithms uesd to protect your data
MAC Filtering - All network cards(wired+wireless)/Routers all have a unique MAC address, this can be used to limit to devices that can connect to your router.
ESSID/SSID is an identifying string(that's lots of characters a-z,A-Z,0-9 and !"£ etc GEM) that your router has.

Last edited:

Butters

LAC
WEP passwords can be cracked in under 1 minute with a laptop and the correct (Linux) software. Doesn't matter if any computer is attached to the router.
WPA passwords can take upto an hour to crack (easier if someone is conected to it and downloading stuff...)
WPA2 passwords? forget it. Ain't gonna crack them (yet)...
The RAF was kind enough to send the 3 of us in our office on lots of software and hardware courses (not bad for a rigger), 2 days of the Micro$oft A+ course was dedicated to wireless networks and cracking passwords.
Back on topic though I have seen this fault before on Linksys Routers, only reliable solution that I've found so far is to bin it and buy a newer different make.
Also beware FREE!!! routers supplied by ISP's because they're sh!t and loaded with monitoring software. Don't believe Sky, Virgin, etc that you have to use the supplied ones. There are ways to unlock your sets and use your own.
I currently use an unlocked BT Home hub. Still has all the extra functions and works fine on Virgin.net. However it does now think thats its a Top of the Range Thompson 7G box.
Anyone wants to know how drop me a mail.

Back