• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whats the difference between 802.11g, b, and b+g?

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Can somebody explain the difference between 802.11g, 802.11b, and 802.11b+g?

Which should my router be set to...it seems to disconnect and reconnect randomly?

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
What router do you have and what USB dongle you using.

As for the b + g argument.

use the 802.11g option unless you also will be using older wifi equipment then select b+g.

This link will describe the differences between the two.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Thanks but pretend I am a mong when it comes to computers...that wiki link my as well have been russian...

No usb dongle...built into the laptop...

Router is cable and wireless model number adslr10cw3xi...

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
All the letter at the end means is it operating frequency and speed.

802.11b = 2.4GHz and 11Mbs
802.11g = 5.4Ghz and 54Mbs

Is it disconnecting from the internet or is your laptop disconnecting from the router?

I'd suggest setting the wifi option on your router to 802.11b+g due to not knowing the capabilities of your laptop wifi.

Also are you using encryption ie WEP or WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK

Last edited:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Thanks to the changes in specification, 802.11g is faster (54MB).

Just pray your router is nowhere near an working microwave oven OR some clever Radio Ham running 23cms kit.

:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
All the letter at the end means is it operating frequency and speed.

802.11b = 2.4GHz and 11Mbs
802.11g = 5.4Ghz and 54Mbs

Is it disconnecting from the internet or is your laptop disconnecting from the router?

I'd suggest setting the wifi option on your router to 802.11b+g due to not knowing the capabilities of your laptop wifi.

Also are you using encryption ie WEP or WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK

Okay, thanks for that...

I believe it is the laptop disconnecting from the router as if I run through the cable I have no problems whatsoever...so laptop to router I'd say...

Using wpa2-psk....

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Okay, thanks for that...

I believe it is the laptop disconnecting from the router as if I run through the cable I have no problems whatsoever...so laptop to router I'd say...

Using wpa2-psk....

Right step 1 How far are you from your router(signal strength - look at the icon in the system tray). I had an issue recently with a sudden icrease in the number of access points nearby, change the channel number to a different one.

if that doesn't work, turn off the encryption and see if the connection becomes more stable.
If there is no change you can discount that.

other things to look out thick stone walls in an old house they cause a few issues.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Right step 1 How far are you from your router(signal strength - look at the icon in the system tray). I had an issue recently with a sudden icrease in the number of access points nearby, change the channel number to a different one.

if that doesn't work, turn off the encryption and see if the connection becomes more stable.
If there is no change you can discount that.

other things to look out thick stone walls in an old house they cause a few issues.

Since I've been haveing the problems I've been sat about 12 inches from the router and signal strength is excellent....

I've recently changed the channel...still drops off...how can I tell if other routers are running on a similar channel?

No really thick walls..am sat in the same room..

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Since I've been haveing the problems I've been sat about 12 inches from the router and signal strength is excellent....

I've recently changed the channel...still drops off...how can I tell if other routers are running on a similar channel?

No really thick walls..am sat in the same room..

When you click on the wifi icon in the system tray do you see a lot of other wireless networks

F

FlatpackDoom

Try this Downsizer :

My Computer > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manger

Under device manager, you will see a list of - you guessed it, devices on your laptop. Find the entry that says "Network Adapters".

Expand the list and double-click on your Laptop's network card and a pop-up box will well, pop up.

Goto the Power Management tab and select it. You'll see an entry " Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" - make sure you DEselect it andOK your way out.

Sometimes this works with moody internal wifi cards. Good luck.

F

FlatpackDoom

I'll bet you a pound to a pinch of pigsh1t that the problem doesn't lie with the card and is probably the usual culprit - the Wireless Zero Configuration service.

I don't have a laptop available at the moment so I can't check this out for you *but if I remember correctly:*

1. If your card has it's own utility that you use to connect/configure your wifi rather than the XP Wireless config thing in control panel.
and
2. You have the latest drivers for your card installed.
and
3. You take a registry backup before you try this.

Then you don't NEED to have the Wireless Zero Configuration service running if you only ever want to be connected to your own wireless network and certainly don't need a service that is automatically scanning for anything it can sniff in the area by the way of wireless networks.

Please don't try this unless you have an adult to supervise you or you're p1ssed and feeling all armourer-confident:

Go to Control Panel.
Administrative Tools.
Select Services. A two-pane window comes up.
In the right-hand pane, scroll down and doubleclick Wireless Zero Configuration.
Click Stop the Service. A progress bar may come up briefly.
Set the start-up type to disabled.
Close the Services window.
You'll need to reboot.

If it all goes FUBAR after that, just do the same thing over - but backwards and set the WZC service to 'automatic' and reboot. Whatever you do, don't panic much - there's always system restore to save the day because we've got that backup we discussed earlier don't we? Don't we?

If none of this helps there's always PE4.

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
I have a similar problem but unfortunately I know a fair bit about computers so have wasted many hours chasing it.

I have a BT home hub that my laptop randomly disconnects from. My xbox still connects and uses the net fine as does my lads WII.

If I reboot the router the laptop then 'sees' the router but will not connect to it. The only way to get everything working again is to do a full factory reset of the Home Hub, connect via ethernet and set everything up again.

WRT the above post it does this regardless of connection method and whether I am using zero config or not.

I have taken to blaming the Home Hub and will simply live with the fact I have to spend 10 minutes about every 2 months sorting it rather than chasing it any longer. Sometimes it is simply more time efficient that way.

Back