• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When's best for AFCO 1st contact?

• Thread starter Thread starter LadyLaw
  • Start date Start date
L

LadyLaw

Evening All,

Am canvassing opinion on when it's recommended to make that first AFCO appointment. Before anyone jumps up and down, I have checked out the careers website but o be honest it was a bit vague - seemed to focus more on what would happen once you'd submitted the application from.

I'm near enough 26 (in August) and am looking to join as an officer. This is pretty much where I'm at at the moment:

• I've spoken to the careers people a couple of times on the phone (only when I couldn't find the answer on here, so not very often!) but obviously only on a fairly general level;
  • Am working on my fitness but still feel I have a way to go before I can get good scores on an OASC fitness test - especially with press-ups;
  • Am studying to get my RAF knowledge up to scratch but again this is "in progress" rather than complete. (I'm really enjoying this - it's taking me back to my uni days);
  • I have a good general knowledge of current affairs but haven't picked any specific stories to follow (on the basis that things can change pretty quickly and what's big news now may be superceded in a couple of months' time);
  • I have narrowed my trade choices down to two "definite maybes" (MSO, Pers Support) and two I'm interested in but would like to know more about (Training and Logistics);
  • In relation to the above, I want to try and arrange a couple of station visits to find out more about my chosen trades but haven't done this yet.
Basically I don't want to stuff up my chances by going to the AFCO too early and coming across as not fully committed or anything because I haven't finished all my swotting up, got my fitness sorted, etc. Conversely, having decided this is definitely what I want, I'm keen to make a start on the formal application process.

Is it better to do all the swotting/getting fit/etc before arranging the first appointment to show how committed I am or is it ok to go along part way through? I'm dead serious about this and don't want to risk mucking up my chances so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
:PDT_Xtremez_21:

Last edited:
B

Bucc Boy

Evening All,

Am canvassing opinion on when it's recommended to make that first AFCO appointment. Before anyone jumps up and down, I have checked out the careers website but o be honest it was a bit vague - seemed to focus more on what would happen once you'd submitted the application from.

I'm near enough 26 (in August) and am looking to join as an officer. This is pretty much where I'm at at the moment:

• I've spoken to the careers people a couple of times on the phone (only when I couldn't find the answer on here, so not very often!) but obviously only on a fairly general level;
  • Am working on my fitness but still feel I have a way to go before I can get good scores on an OASC fitness test - especially with press-ups;
  • Am studying to get my RAF knowledge up to scratch but again this is "in progress" rather than complete. (I'm really enjoying this - it's taking me back to my uni days);
  • I have a good general knowledge of current affairs but haven't picked any specific stories to follow (on the basis that things can change pretty quickly and what's big news now may be superceded in a couple of months' time);
  • I have narrowed my trade choices down to two "definite maybes" (MSO, Pers Support) and two I'm interested in but would like to know more about (Training and Logistics);
  • In relation to the above, I want to try and arrange a couple of station visits to find out more about my chosen trades but haven't done this yet.
Basically I don't want to stuff up my chances by going to the AFCO too early and coming across as not fully committed or anything because I haven't finished all my swotting up, got my fitness sorted, etc. Conversely, having decided this is definitely what I want, I'm keen to make a start on the formal application process.

Is it better to do all the swotting/getting fit/etc before arranging the first appointment to show how committed I am or is it ok to go along part way through? I'm dead serious about this and don't want to risk mucking up my chances so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
:PDT_Xtremez_21:

LadyLaw, as a self-confessed, 'educated, self-confident women’, I think you should just go for it.

S

SimpleSimon

Get down to the AFCO, maybe give them a call beforehand and tell them you'd like to come in and what you want to discuss, that way you wont have to wait around for ages if they're already busy when you go in, and they won't just assume you've wandered in off the street and fob you off with a load of information packs. From your initial expression of interest to OASC will be a while so don't worry, you'll have the time to get your knowledge and fitness as high as you want them.

K

Krusty_Crab

Nearly all the Ground Branches (except ATC and ABM) are full for 09/10 and probably won't re-open until late Aug or early Sept. By the sounds of it you are more than ready for your AFCO appointment but be aware that they may not start to process your application for Trg Off or Pers Spt until the Branches re-open. However it will start the ball rolling and give you the opening to start visiting some RAF stations. Don't dismiss going for Air Traffic or Fighter Controller (ABM) - you may have the aptitude even though you might think they're outside your comfort zone. If you have a station visit then you can meet some of those branches too.

On current affairs they'll be more impressed with 'News' that is a year old rather than just reading what happened this week as it shows a REAL interest in current affairs

PS: Michael Jackson dying is NOT current affairs!!

Last edited:
Back