• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Officer trades are open/about to open?

• Thread starter Thread starter jamesofdeath
  • Start date Start date
J

jamesofdeath

Hi guys,

Might seem like a silly question to ask but I'll throw it out there, which Officer trades are currently open or about to open within the next 1 - 3 months that you know of?

I can find a fair amount of info on the NCO trades that are open but nothing for Officer trades. I have spoken to the AFCO who had a list of trades that were open or due to open but obviously they couldn't show me the list.

To put you in the picture, I have been waiting to join the RAF as WSOp or WSO since September 2008 but was deferred due to injury until September 2010. When my deferrment ran out and I began the application process the SDSR happened and recruitment for my chosen trades stopped so although I've registered with the hotline I don't seem to be receiving any emails giving me updates (I had one in November, that was it). As time is ticking and I'm going to be 25 later this year I have decided that I probably shouldn't rely on waiting on my chosen trades opening and would like to explore other options within the RAF.

Thanks a lot

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Both WSO and WSOp won't be recruiting for a while yet. In the case of WSO, it will be a LONG time before it does. I don't have a list to hand of which branches are open but I can get you one soon. Have you looked at SNCO ATC instead of WSOp? That is actively recruiting at the mo.

E

Elyn

Anyway of getting that list? I'm in exactly the same boat as the original poster

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Hi guys,

Might seem like a silly question to ask but I'll throw it out there, which Officer trades are currently open or about to open within the next 1 - 3 months that you know of?

Just FYI, officers do not have trades; airmen (or tradesmen) have trades and officers have branches.

Officers are not trusted with anything sharp or hot.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Anyway of getting that list? I'm in exactly the same boat as the original poster

Yes.... Pick up the phone and ring your AFCO and ask them. If you can't even manage that, then maybe zobdom isn't a realistic asperation.

E

Elyn

Yes.... Pick up the phone and ring your AFCO and ask them. If you can't even manage that, then maybe zobdom isn't a realistic asperation.

You don't think that's been tried? They are reluctant to list which trades/brances are open - which seems crazy as some of them are closed for over a year.

Therapist

LAC
Wouldn't it seem better if you phoned them after looking through the website and making decisions and having two or three chosen branches and then asking which of these are open/ likely to open soon?
As oppose to, the "I'll do whatever is open at the time" as they might think you are doing. They want you to do a job you'll enjoy and give productive service in. There is no point you going in as a Admin Officer if you don't like to work in an office.

Also, on the careers website homepage they have a scrolling list of things they are "Currently Recruiting"

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
You don't think that's been tried? They are reluctant to list which trades/brances are open - which seems crazy as some of them are closed for over a year.

They will be reluctant to do so as the recruiting picture changes massively almost constantly. It would be unfair to you for them to tell you over the phone what's open at that time only for you to apply and then be told your chosen branch is shut. Best thing to do is register your interest with the RAF Careers Hotline (number available on the website) and when your chosen branch is open, you can then begin the application process.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
Just FYI, officers do not have trades; airmen (or tradesmen) have trades and officers have branches.

Airmen have Trades within a Branch (eg Avionics Trade is in the Engineering Branch) so in a way they have both.

Trade groups are sub-groups of a Branch. TG1 and TG2 are both part of the Engineering Branch.

You can find which Branches and Trades are currently accepting applications on the RAF Careers website, Its on the homepage. Offices don’t actually know when Trades or Branches are likely to open and recruiters (on there own head be it) may offer an educated guess as to when certain Branches or Trades MAY become available. The reason recruiters won't offer up this educated guess is, if they tell you a trade will become available in December and it subsequently opens tomorrow and your going about your everyday life not thinking about your application until December their is a high possibility you will miss out. Then Mr X pops in December moaning that he was told it would be open and he'd missed the boat Again. If you aren’t willing to wait up to two years for WSOP and possibly forever for WSO, as previously suggest you may want to consider ATC SNCO. There are currently commissioned roles open to applications Just take a look at the wesbsite!!!!!!!

Pikeman

Cider one of the five
1000+ Posts
As the thread was started over a year ago, I hope they have already decided.

Back