• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which phone network for Lyneham or Brize.

A

alberts nose

I am currently at Lyneham, and my phone is due for up grade or renewal. I am currently on T-mobile, which provides very variable coverage, depending on where you are on unit.

As I awill be moving to Brize before the end of any new contract I need a phone which will work at both Lyneham and Brize with the full 3G stuff, as I am looking at a smartphone.

Question is which network? I believe that O2 is good at Lyneham. can anybody who has experience of the networks let me know which providers are really good. The coverage maps the network providers are all going to say they have good coverage, which as we know can be very variable.

I stay on unit during the week, so coverage has to be good for work and accomadation.

Many thanks

FOMz

Warrant Officer
If you're going to be working southside - not Orange. I've found their coverage is a bit ropey at best.

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
O2 has good coverage at Lyneham, I also did a recovery from Brize and got a decent signal there too

Last edited:
P

pie sandwich

I live in lyneham and I've had both t-mobile and am now with o2 never had a problem with either, if anything t-mobile was a touch better

lisab

Girlie Brosette Mod - I owe you nothing...oooh ah!
If you're going to be working southside - not Orange. I've found their coverage is a bit ropey at best.

Southside? A bit ropey? My phone (orange) stops working as in zero signal as soon as I drive through Wootton Bassett!!! Definately stay clear of Orange!!!!

woody

SAC
Mate go for Vodafone it works well here at Brize, in quarters and on camp. If memory serves me it was pretty good at Lyneham too, but that was a few years back and the old grey matter isnt what it was.

My wife was on T-Mobile and has just changed mid contract to Vodafone as T-Mobile coverage was shocking.

We both have smart phones and can access 3G at home and I can at work.

Hope this helps.

A

alberts nose

Thanks for the info people, I will definately be binning T mobile. just have to have a ook at what I can find from O2 or vodaphone

Craig855s

Sergeant
O2 and Voda are both decent, T-mobile and Orange (arent they the same thing now?) dont have as much of the market share so they arent gonna have the same levels of investment as O2 and Voda when it comes to service coverage.

The phone will affect how much signal you get aswell, some phones have crap aerials and the network cant be blamed. Cant comment on which ones though.. I know my old nnokia 5800 on O2 works rather well all round brize.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
If you're out of contract then t mobile are required to unlock your phone.

If you're happy with your phone you'll get a better deal with either giffgaff or Tesco who operate on the O2 network.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Entropy

Sergeant
Despite the thread being 4 yrs old I'll add my two penneth worth.

I'm with GiffGaff (O2) and cannot get a decent signal when inside any building at Brize, cannot even stream music. I couldn't believe it when I found a mate watching live football on his iPad. He said that he was on 3 so tried a free PAYG sim and found that I could watch iPlayer without any issues. Now I top up my 3 sim when at Brize and swap it over when on base but stay with GiffGaff as it is still the cheapest option for heavy data users.