• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which service

S

Sierra_Whisky

Hi,

I'm new to the forum so please go easy!

I'm currently looking at becoming a medic within the armed forces. I actually have no preference on which service I join, as my family has strong links with all 3 (4 if you let the marines think they're special in they're own right! ;) )

What I'm interested in is which service is going to let me progress in my chosen career the best.

I initially looked at becoming a CMT in the army, but was told that a MA in the Navy was the best way to go by a CMT as he felt the Navy looked after their staff better and helped them progress further. I've now been advised by a MA to seriously consider looking at becoming a RAF medic for similar reasons!

I hope that I'm not that unpopular that each service is trying to palm me off, but rather I'm getting real advice from people in the know (which is why I've joined these forums).

So over to you, what are your views on being a RAF medic? What are the sort of day to day responsibilities I could expect? Career progression and qualifications? Any advice/guidance/abuse you're able to give me would be greatly appreciated.

I have, before anyone asks, worked out how to use Google and the search function on this site! I'm just looking for some recent opinions, especially after the spending review.

Cheers

SW

OldMedic

Corporal
Welcome! I can't give you up to date info about being an RAF Medic in the current situation and in any case I moved on quickly to become a nurse - a much better career path. However, there are as you have already found, quite a few threads about medics.

One basic point is that when choosing which service to join you shouldn't see the job in isolation - the raison d'etre of the RAF is aircraft and flying and that should interest you as well.

Best wishes for your future career.

First point I wish make is, that I am not a medic but I have known plenty of medics in the RAF over my last 22 years. If you had asked the question of "which service should I join" 5 years ago, I would have said "RAF", but now with the SDSR I honestly couldnt answer it. I can say however that in my experience promotion has been steady for Medics in the RAF but I would probably echo the previous post and say, try for the Nursing route as it is time promotion due to qualifications already held.

I hope this helps.

S

Sierra_Whisky

Thanks for both of your input.

In regards to looking at the service as a whole, if I'm honest I've got equal amounts of interest in both the Navy and RAF, and slightly less in the Army, but not by much.

I have considered nursing long and hard, but for some reason I just don't find it that appealing. Horses for courses I guess.

I'm due to go down AFCO for the informal Navy presentation in a couple of weeks, would it be massively frowned upon if I arranged to see the RAF representative on a different date, or would they understand that I'm just considering all of my options?

Thanks

SW

SW

Frowned up on not you need to know all the options open to you and make an informed choice on which path to take, at the end of the day they are all Armed Forces Careers Offices and supposedly trained professionals so ask all the questions you need of all the services and good luck with whichever you choose

S

Sierra_Whisky

Thanks, I'll speak to both services. I noticed on the forum that there's mention that the Army are being looked into to by the 'leaders' of primary care in the forces. How much truth is there in this and what would be the time span be for any changes to be implemented?

I also read somewhere that around 60% of MA's are serving in Afganistan; is there any estimates on the percentage of RAF medics working in this capability?

Thanks

SW

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
RAF Medics - Primarily Med Centred based and due to lots of legislation tend to focus more on the medical admin role, some medical elements as well as working in dispensary. Extended role covers aeromed where as a Flight Nursing Assisstant (FNA) you will transport ill patients from anywhere in the world back to the UK either as an individual or part of a team. Couls also deploy as an aeromedical liaison individual, coordinating the patient moves.

Individuals with the correct qualifications, experience and attitude can be selected for Paramedic training, but this can be quite a few yrs after completing your RAF Medic training.

Medics role can be very varied and is dependent on how much effort you put into managing your career. You can stay Med Centre based or move to different roles and this can sometimes improve promotion prospects if yo can a wide skill set rather that focusing in one area.

The choice is yours. I may have missed a couple of other roles but i hope this gives a quick insight to the RAF Medic.

S

Sierra_Whisky

Thanks for that, excactly what I was looking for. Is it fair to see then that the chances of being posted to accompany troops on patrol are quite slim?