• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

which trade would suit me?

• Thread starter Thread starter Ross_19
  • Start date Start date
R

Ross_19

Hello, this is my first post on this forum, Ive found this website to be really helpful so far and hopefully can get some advice of my own!

I went into my local AFCO center in liverpool last monday and was getting information about Aircraft technician. He was really helpful and gave me 2 options, Either Avionics or mechanical

Basically im in touching distance of finishing my apprenticeship with Renault, so ive got a few years under my belt in the working and mechanics side of the industry. Ive always been fascinated with aircrafts and im generally a hands on person who loves to learn and i thought the RAF will be great for me. I used to be in the Army cadets from 13-17. (should i mention that haha) and i loved it, (im 19 by the way)

Enough about me rambling on, I would like some advice on both trades i am thinking about doing.
I either stick to what im so called familiar with which is the mechanical side of things, I know aircrafts are some what different to cars.
or i could challange myself to do the avionics which is basically a lot of electrical which isnt my strong side put it that way, But with the way the world is going, a lot of things are electrical nowadays.

if ive missed something that you need to know, im sorry and hope that you can point it out!
Hopefully i can get some sort of advice, would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Ross
:PDT_Xtremez_30:

R

Ross_19

Ross, you're the only one who can make that decision mate........

thanks for a reply, yeh i know its my decision but just need some advice of anyone who is in these trades to give me some insight into what ill be joining up to, ive spoke to the afco, hes very helpful but just gave me leaflets and a book.

sausage2

Decorated war hero
Administrator
1000+ Posts
Dependes really what you want to do. I do the mechanical side, adn have really enjoyed doing it the whole time I've been in the RAF. We get to fix all the big lumps of metal that go wrong, The fairies get to fix all the wires and black boxes that go wrong. No one can answer the question for you, it's up to what you want to do.

R

Ross_19

Dependes really what you want to do. I do the mechanical side, adn have really enjoyed doing it the whole time I've been in the RAF. We get to fix all the big lumps of metal that go wrong, The fairies get to fix all the wires and black boxes that go wrong. No one can answer the question for you, it's up to what you want to do.

too be honest i can see myself doing the mechanical side! what does your average day consist of? are you based in one place all the time or do you move around the world? and what do you work on all sorts or aircraft or just the one?

thanks sausage

sausage2

Decorated war hero
Administrator
1000+ Posts
you need to speak to an afco. You are based at a camp, either on a sqn, 2nd line or a bay. For the duration of your time in that workplace you will work on the aircraft type your sqn has. You travel wherever the aircraft go, and fix them if they break down, anywhere in the world. We have had aircraft break down in Hawaii before now!! If your aircraft are based in Afghanistan, they you too will be based in Afganistan. My average day consits of bullying SAC's and drinking tea.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Reality check here...

What are your prospects with Renault? They would, if you have nearly finished your apprenticeship, appear to have invested time and money in you...

As the world comes out of recession people will start to buy stuff including cars again...If you keep a weather eye on the broadsheets or even have caught the jist of the way things are going on here the military (and other government departments) are going to have to be cut to pay for the quantative easing that bailed the banks out and started us on the road to recovery...

So look and think very carefully before you leap...leaning has cut the engineering world back to the marrow no matter the bone...people are on rapid and regular turnarounds for out of areas (OOA) that at face value to someone looking from the outside in may seem an exciting prospect but can soon become obstructive to whatever you may call a life...On certain fleets including my own the techs face a never ending mountain of outstanding job cards where patching up seems to be preferable to actually fixing things which is frustrating but inevitable through lack of manpower and stores...

Grim? not always but try to see through the glossy brochures to what it really can be like...You've got a great grounding in mechanics...most of our recruits don't know a spanner from screwdriver until they've been through Cosford so think where you will be best suited and employed...think if there are better pay prospects where you are now...think that if you join and we do go through a serious of cuts where will that leave you when promotion slows or stops for a period and you're in a rut (it happened to some of us when the wall came down and we downsized...delayed me onto an FT course by probably 2 years)...

Good luck in what you choose...

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Reality check here...

What are your prospects with Renault? They would, if you have nearly finished your apprenticeship, appear to have invested time and money in you...

As the world comes out of recession people will start to buy stuff including cars again...If you keep a weather eye on the broadsheets or even have caught the jist of the way things are going on here the military (and other government departments) are going to have to be cut to pay for the quantative easing that bailed the banks out and started us on the road to recovery...

So look and think very carefully before you leap...leaning has cut the engineering world back to the marrow no matter the bone...people are on rapid and regular turnarounds for out of areas (OOA) that at face value to someone looking from the outside in may seem an exciting prospect but can soon become obstructive to whatever you may call a life...On certain fleets including my own the techs face a never ending mountain of outstanding job cards where patching up seems to be preferable to actually fixing things which is frustrating but inevitable through lack of manpower and stores...

Grim? not always but try to see through the glossy brochures to what it really can be like...You've got a great grounding in mechanics...most of our recruits don't know a spanner from screwdriver until they've been through Cosford so think where you will be best suited and employed...think if there are better pay prospects where you are now...think that if you join and we do go through a serious of cuts where will that leave you when promotion slows or stops for a period and you're in a rut (it happened to some of us when the wall came down and we downsized...delayed me onto an FT course by probably 2 years)...

Great post Vim.

To the OP, have you looked at other engineering paths? Even within the forces there are opportunities to do other types of engineering, often with enhanced qualifications and promotional opportunities.

If you are set on a career in the RAF, good luck in whatever you choose.

MP

R

Ross_19

Reality check here...

thanks for the advice! but where i work it is usually full of false promises! i know there are downsides to every job, i realise that but i just cant see myself there in years to come. while im young i still think i should get as much training and knowlage crammed into my brain as i can.

Im going to apply and hope for the best! Im just worried that i wont get through all the interviews and tests! I generally think im a nice guy and get on with near enough everyone i meet. "younguns" these days are rare to come by that are willing to learn!

Thats another question i have really! i know i should speak to the afco about this but i just dont want to keep bothering them and think im this flapping lad! but exactly how hard is it to get into the raf? like i said before im an easy going guy and really willing to learn, have some experience in the trade and genuinly think im a nice guy who has a lot of respect for people older and above me (not in that way :D)

its just i dont want to get so far to getting into a really good career oportunity and one little niggle stopping me!

but as to seriously thinking weather i want to give up my technician job to come into the RAF, i personally think its a great career move! but i appreciate all the advice given. Vim_Fuego thank you for the heads up!

:PDT_Xtremez_17:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
AFCO's live to offer you help and advice which should ease your entry into the RAF...

That said there are plenty of things you can do by yourself to increase your self confidence and chances of success...

Applying for service in the RAF involves more than the average job interview (fitness test and the like) but initially treat it as such...You wouldn't go for a job with Ford without researching what Ford does in case they asked you and we are no different...Research where and how the RAF began, a little of our history, what we fly and where we fly them, where they are based, how any of them we have, where we are around the world on a permanent and deployed basis and what new aircraft we are thinking about...

Sounds like a lot? maybe but its all available 'open source' via google and armed with that knowledge any interview you attend at the AFCO if you can scrape up 30-40% of the above you'll come across as someone with some get up and go...I notice lots of questions in these forums from people who are nervous about interviews...with plenty of prep the nerves would go away!

Also get fit...if you already are then search these forums for info on the levels that will make your life easy...if you aren't then join a gym and crack on with it...We test fitness, right or wrong, via the bleep test...The levels for people already serving are higher than those starting basic training or so I believe...but if you can do 9-10 you'll have no worries...There is no easy answer to fitness whether you are 17 or 47, you still have to keep at it!

If you're not a very confident person then work on it especially speaking in public...Let me know if you aren't and I'll give you some techniques to improve that area.

If not already think about getting involved in a community-minded project or group such as Dof E awards, scouts, air cadets, TRBL, SSAFA and so on...Looks good when they ask you how you spend your time and sets you way way above the rest!

And don't automatically think you have to continue spannering just because of your grounding...Have a peek at this :PDT_Xtremez_14:

Hope this helps...

R

Ross_19

AFCO's live to offer you help and advice which should ease your entry into the RAF...

That said there are plenty of things you can do by yourself to increase your self confidence and chances of success...

Applying for service in the RAF involves more than the average job interview (fitness test and the like) but initially treat it as such...You wouldn't go for a job with Ford without researching what Ford does in case they asked you and we are no different...Research where and how the RAF began, a little of our history, what we fly and where we fly them, where they are based, how any of them we have, where we are around the world on a permanent and deployed basis and what new aircraft we are thinking about...

Sounds like a lot? maybe but its all available 'open source' via google and armed with that knowledge any interview you attend at the AFCO if you can scrape up 30-40% of the above you'll come across as someone with some get up and go...I notice lots of questions in these forums from people who are nervous about interviews...with plenty of prep the nerves would go away!

Also get fit...if you already are then search these forums for info on the levels that will make your life easy...if you aren't then join a gym and crack on with it...We test fitness, right or wrong, via the bleep test...The levels for people already serving are higher than those starting basic training or so I believe...but if you can do 9-10 you'll have no worries...There is no easy answer to fitness whether you are 17 or 47, you still have to keep at it!

If you're not a very confident person then work on it especially speaking in public...Let me know if you aren't and I'll give you some techniques to improve that area.

If not already think about getting involved in a community-minded project or group such as Dof E awards, scouts, air cadets, TRBL, SSAFA and so on...Looks good when they ask you how you spend your time and sets you way way above the rest!

And don't automatically think you have to continue spannering just because of your grounding...Have a peek at this :PDT_Xtremez_14:

Hope this helps...

You Sir, are very kind!

Im a confident person. but like some people when it comes to speaking out in public it does become a bit daunting! but with a bit of guidence and the will power i should be well on my way! as regards to fitness ive started running, its hard to say the least, but as time goes on and like everything... practise makes perfect! it makes it easier knowing at the end of it you can achieve something good, so thats whats helping me with motivation.

When i did go to the afco he did say i stood a good chance because i was a genuin guy and already has a parcial lead because of my experience in a trade! I should'nt be building my hopes up i know, but if it goes to the wire at the selection process, it looks better to take someone on who has that slight bit of experience to the other who hasent!

Thanks alot!

Back