• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wi-Fi Question

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
I've got a new laptop and it has a switch on the front that appears to be the wifi switch, but it is not picking up any wireless networks. How do I check that the machine is actually able to connect wirelessly? Keep it simple please, I'm a biff.

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
Yes it is on. I've had a click on the network icon and in the "connect using" box it says Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection2

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Can you connect to the router through the ethernet cable?

Netstumbler will tell you if your router is broadcasting...download it and try..

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Have you got a wireless router?
If so click 'start' and then 'connect to' and it should show wireless networks available. Your router should be in that list. Choose it and connect to the net!

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
The laptop whilst new to me, is not a new machine. The option to "Connect To" is not there when I click on start. It runs Win2000 if that helps.

M

monobrow

It runs Win2000 if that helps.
There is your problem!

Win XP, Vista and 7 beta all have tools to connect wirelessly without a thrid party program. You'll need to get a wireless configuration tool for it...

Tried getting you a link from here and says that win 2000 is not supported. Try this one. It says XP but might work...

Failing to get it from the hardware manufacturer, it may be worth searching the support content of the laptop manufacturer for it.

ChrisBrit81

Sergeant
you wanted a simple answer.....

scrub 2000 from the laptop, install xp.

I'm sure we all know somebody who has a spare (perfectly legal of course) copy of xp, try your friendly neghbourhood IT section.

Back