• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Windows 8 HELP

Killer Queen

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
Guys I need your help

The old man has just bought his first Laptop and it has arrived singing and dancing with Windows 8 (I was not involved in this purchase). It has been 48 hours of what is this? How do I?

Are there any user friendly guides that Goaters are aware of of even something he can work through step by step. At least until I can have it made dual boot with Linux.

For those of you that have Windows 8 what are your opinions?

Cheers

KQ

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I'm on W8 but seem to spend all my time in the Desktop environment so not that big a change.

The true W8 environment seems to be app driven and looks like it really wants to be a touch screen interface, I'm sure they could have made the controls using a keyboard and track pad a little more intuitive with it.

Couple of gripes are finding programmes that don't have a tile set and finding the power down selector, other than that it's just a different interface that take a little bit of getting used to.

Toonman

SAC
Have a look at this page. It is the Windows 8 help page from Computeractive. I had the same reaction as you when I first started using Windows 8. I have downloaded the replacement desktop which makes it look like Windows 7.

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/tag/windows-8

Here is a link to the best article to explain most of the problems people encounter. It helps to restore some of the items which seem to be missing.

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/ca/pc-help/2235157/restore-the-missing-tools-in-windows-8

E

enginesuck

Take it back to the shop, say its pish and get his money back, then order a pc from a custom shop online with windows 7 on, or buy a mac - windows 8 is crap

Craig855s

Sergeant
Take it back to the shop, say its pish and get his money back, then order a pc from a custom shop online with windows 7 on, or buy a mac - windows 8 is crap

I'd personally do this, you only ever buy a PC from PCworld ONCE, once you've realised you get much more for your money online (or self building) then PCworld can go bollocks, I've had windows 8 and after only 3 weeks rolled back to 7 premium. Unless you're using a tablet then 7 is superior

Back