• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wireless network aerial?

Hi all,

Since moving over to BT broadband, my PC upstairs can't find the network (found it fine on the Orange hub).

So off I've been to Maplin today and got myself an amplified aerial http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46803. Plugged it in and it found the network straight off. Great! Plumbed in the network key and up came the blue screen of death.

Tried putting the original aerial back on, now it blue screens every time.

The driver I'm using isn't the original one for the card, as I'm running x64 XP, and the original driver wasn't compatible.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Hi all,

Since moving over to BT broadband, my PC upstairs can't find the network (found it fine on the Orange hub).

So off I've been to Maplin today and got myself an amplified aerial
. Plugged it in and it found the network straight off. Great! Plumbed in the network key and up came the blue screen of death.

Tried putting the original aerial back on, now it blue screens every time.

The driver I'm using isn't the original one for the card, as I'm running x64 XP, and the original driver wasn't compatible.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Please explain your setup in a little detail. What sort of aerial does the modem thingy have. Is it directly below where you want to operate the 'other' installation from ?

Sometimes a decent aerial is all that's required.

MingMong

Warrant Officer
Don't get blinkered to the fact that it's the aerial causing your problems. It's possible that it is something else causing it. Is this the first time that the particular computer has been plugged into the internet in some time? It's possible that the fact that it has just discovered an internet connection has caused something to start working that wouldn't have happened prior to connecting to the internet. If you can. maybe try booting in safe mode, then if that works try booting again normally. I have had this sort out BSOD issues in the past without having to do anything else.

Failing that, get the HEX code of your BSOD and google it. it is possible that you can get a lot of info as to what your problem is that way.

M

monobrow

Unless the impedance is different from what your card is expecting....

B

Bodseh

If it were me i wouldnt buy a new card straight away?

Try a few things 1st..

Go onto the manufacturers website - download the latest driver for your network card, if there isnt a newer version - reinstall your network driver.

(If your wanting to use the aerial tht almost worked before BSOD make sure uve uninstalled any other / unnessasary drivers? - read the manual :P?)

If your PC is blue screening and you carnt get into Windows try what minmong suggested - safe mode, failing that physically remove the network card (guessing you have a wireless network card for your machine?) try again...

Failing all of these - id re-install mate, the thing with doing a system restore is yeh it takes your system files back to a prior date but it leaves your machines registory dirty and so it will be prone to future BSOD conflicts with other applications etc etc.... (hope youve got the disks!)

- Truth is, wireless is patchey.. in my house I can get connections in certain rooms but not others, distance isnt always the case... other devices can affect your connection so bare them in mind, phones, wires, electic box.. you name it anything with a wireless footprint could be the reason your original aerial wasnt seeing your connection.

If you need any help mate shout up.

Last edited:
Back