• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wireless printer help

ailiebird

Corporal
I have one of these small pc's for the web, running windows 7 starter. I do not have a router as using orange anywhere which runs off a sim card in the computer. I have a wireless printer and I know the pc is wireless, do I need anything else to set these 2 up or can I set up some sort of network? If so how? Any help appreciated, thanks.

Martin Blank

Sergeant
If your pc's wireless enabled and so is your printer you should simply have to put in the driver disk that came with the printer and follow a setup.
Thats what I did with mine, now all my pc's and laptops talk to my printer.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
If you've got one of those small web computers then you may not have a disk drive so just download the drivers from the company website and off you go.

I had a lexmark that was just a pain in the but, and they did not upgrade the driver for Windows 7, for my printer, not buying one of theirs again, just got a belkin thing yesterday that networks a printer and a few hard drives.

Last edited:
A

AllTechiesNow

You can do it, but it's not as simple as if you had a router (which all the set-up disks will be looking for). You'll have to use ad-hoc networking.

If you have a look at google (search for "Can you have a wireless printer without a router?") and there are a few guides that will help you along with it.

Just out of interest, I don't suppose you have an old router knocking around do you? Would make the process a whole load easier!

ailiebird

Corporal
If you've got one of those small web computers then you may not have a disk drive so just download the drivers from the company website and off you go.

I had a lexmark that was just a pain in the but, and they did not upgrade the driver for Windows 7 for my printer, not buying one of theirs again, just got a belkin thing yesterday that network a printer and a few hard drives.

Have an external disc drive and loaded the software but both printer and pc don't seem to recognise each other? What's the belkin thing? Cheers.

A

AllTechiesNow

Have an external disc drive and loaded the software but both printer and pc don't seem to recognise each other? What's the belkin thing? Cheers.

The software won't work straight off as it'll be looking for a network router (so that instead of the printer having to create multiple connections to each device that's printing, it only has to create one). You'll have to create an ad-hoc network (effectively turning your laptop's wireless card into a router) and convince the printer to look for that.

ailiebird

Corporal
You can do it, but it's not as simple as if you had a router (which all the set-up disks will be looking for). You'll have to use ad-hoc networking.

If you have a look at google (search for "Can you have a wireless printer without a router?") and there are a few guides that will help you along with it.

Just out of interest, I don't suppose you have an old router knocking around do you? Would make the process a whole load easier!

I've got an old Orange router from when I had home broadband.

A

AllTechiesNow

Thanks for the advice/help chaps. I'll have a look at them all and see what happens

Hi ailiebird, sorry, I forgot to look back in on this! Did you get it all sorted?

If not, why I asked about your old router is that if you plug that in (you can hide it away somewhere because it doesn't need the telephone connection) and turn it on, it should work as a network hub for the printer and the CD the printer comes with will set it all up for you!

Back