• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wireless problems

Red-Rock

Sergeant
I recently bought a cheap laptop from Currys. It's an EI Systems one with wireless. I got it so I could get online in the wireless hotspot at work and do my own work without having to wait to use one of the pc's in the internet cafe in the club, that and the fact that they have no software on them, they are basically just internet termnals.

Anyhoo, for some reason my laptop won't even detect the nework is even there let alone actually connect to it. I thought there was a problem with the card so uninstalled and then re-installed the drivers without success. I then thought that it may be a hardware problem so I popped into PC world and the guy there connected straight into the stores wireless network in seconds, so not a hardware problem.

Any ideas what the problem may be and how to solve it. I am a bit of a computer biff so you will have to explain in english if you can. Just as a bit of further info my both my Nokia N95 and my PSP pick up the network so I know it's definately there.

Cheers in advance for any ideas.

P

prop135

can other people see the hotspot from thier laptops?? Sometimes the hotspot name is hidden (called "stealthed")

the other problem may be the wireless card is the wrong standard for the hotspot. If your wireless card is 802.11b and the hotspot is a 802.11g only access point your lappy won't see it

Red-Rock

Sergeant
can other people see the hotspot from thier laptops?? Sometimes the hotspot name is hidden (called "stealthed")

the other problem may be the wireless card is the wrong standard for the hotspot. If your wireless card is 802.11b and the hotspot is a 802.11g only access point your lappy won't see it

I don't think it is 'stealthed' prop. As I said I can see it on my N95 and PSP. How do I find out whether it is an 802.11b or 802.11g mate??

P

prop135

If your 95 see's it it is not stealthed

right click on "my computer"
manage
Device manager
network adapters

This should show your network cards including the wireless card

right click on the wireless card
properties
And if the Advanced tab is available it will show you what your card is

If there is a yellow circle with an ! in it by the wireless card then there is an issue

P

prop135

also try

start
run

enter the letters "cmd" and hit ok
a command prompt (black screen with c:\ on it)
type ipconfig /all and hit return

show you what network cards are running
If the wireless card is not one of them then computer is not seeing the card

Red-Rock

Sergeant
If your 95 see's it it is not stealthed

right click on "my computer"
manage
Device manager
network adapters

This should show your network cards including the wireless card

right click on the wireless card
properties
And if the Advanced tab is available it will show you what your card is

If there is a yellow circle with an ! in it by the wireless card then there is an issue
Cheers mate will give it a try. By the way if they are both different is it possible to connect to the wireless network or will I have to change something in my laptop to enable me to????

Does the fact that the laptop is running Windows Vista make a diffence?

P

prop135

Cheers mate will give it a try. By the way if they are both different is it possible to connect to the wireless network or will I have to change something in my laptop to enable me to????

Does the fact that the laptop is running Windows Vista make a diffence?

No the Operating System should make no difference other than you have a good chance of the card being installed properly.

If the card allows connection to other standards you should be able to change it on the advanced tab previously mentioned.

If you have software installed to control the card and are trying to use windows to connect you won't be able to see the wireless either.

I have intel PROset wireless installed on my lappy that looks after the wireless not vista.

M

monobrow

Have a look on the laptop for a button to switch it on. Sounds mad, but my mate spent a good three hours trying to get his new laptop connected to his wireless network only to find out there was a nice big button to switch it on!

Looking at curry's site, they do the 3113 and 3115.

For the 3113, look here....
front%20labelled.jpg

For the 3115, look here....
frontswitch.JPG

Both on the front of the laptop

Last edited:
P

prop135

Have a look on the laptop for a button to switch it on. Sounds mad, but my mate spent a good three hours trying to get his new laptop connected to his wireless network only to find out there was a nice big button to switch it on!

er yeah thats a good point........:PDT_Xtremez_28:

ITgeek

LAC
if the button on the laptop is not pressed then the guy in pcworld wouldn;t of been able to connect

all the ei systems are 11b and 11g wireless .

check out http://support.thetechguys.com under product support there is a page for every machine the currys/pcworld sell and any fixes /updates . knowen problems are on there.

if you give me the model number ill have a wee looksie at work when i am next in

C

Comms_Lad

if the button on the laptop is not pressed then the guy in pcworld wouldn;t of been able to connect

But being a genned up pcfrauds techy he would of known about the button assumed the user was using said button and switched it on tested it found it working and switched it off again.

Red-Rock

Sergeant
Thanks for all the input guys. Checked the wireless switch and yes it IS on. This is an EI Systems 3115 laptop.

Prop I went into the Advanced properties tab in the Device Manager and all it has in it is the values for the Receive and transmit Buffers bu it doesn't tell me what type of card it is. (incidentally the buffer value is 64 if that makes a difference)

It also says that the card is working properly.

Going into the cmd screen I get the following after i type 'ipconfig/all'

Media state......... : Media Disconnected
Connection Specific DNS Suffix.. :
Description.....: RT73 USB Wireless LAN Card
Physical Address......: 00-10-60-BC-26-AB
DHCP Enabled.....: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled.....: Yes

The laptop will still not even see a wireless network let alone connect to one.

Any further help???????????????

Back