• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wireless router setup

T55

Sergeant
Recently purchased a Linksys wireless router with the intention of connecting it to a Virgin cable modem and running my desktop hardwired and my laptop wirelessly.

Unfortunately I have found that the router has only one ethernet socket which has to be used to connect to the modem, I cannot have both hardwired desktop and wireless laptop in use at the same time.

Is ther such thing as an ethernet splitter socket and if so would it be appropriate to use in this instance to split the signal from the modem to the desktop PC and to the wireless router?

Any advice gratefully received.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Recently purchased a Linksys wireless router with the intention of connecting it to a Virgin cable modem and running my desktop hardwired and my laptop wirelessly.

Unfortunately I have found that the router has only one ethernet socket which has to be used to connect to the modem, I cannot have both hardwired desktop and wireless laptop in use at the same time.

Is ther such thing as an ethernet splitter socket and if so would it be appropriate to use in this instance to split the signal from the modem to the desktop PC and to the wireless router?

Any advice gratefully received.

Not sure what setup the Linksys uses, but my Orange livebox (wanadoo) is able to receive both ethernet and wireless signals, I have a laptop, desktop and xbox 360 all connected to it.

Are you sure you cannot connect both wirelessly and using an ethernet cable at the same time?

M

monobrow

Have you got the model number handy? It should be able to "split" the signal, most routers have at least 4 ethernet ports out + the wireless.

Of course that is "the norm" so give us the model number and more specific answers can be given.

T55

Sergeant
Have you got the model number handy? It should be able to "split" the signal, most routers have at least 4 ethernet ports out + the wireless.

Of course that is "the norm" so give us the model number and more specific answers can be given.

It is a WAP54G and only has one ethernet port.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=43501&doy=4m1#overview

According to the FAQ section of the above link it can be used both hard wired and wirelessly at the same time, but with only one ethernet port I can only assume that some sort of spliiter would have to be used?

M

monobrow

Right.... What you have done mate is buy a Wireless Access Point, not a Router. There is a big difference, and if you have just bought it, get it back in it's box. I'll explain why....

An access point is basically that, an access point to an already set up Local Area Network (or LAN). It would usually consist of an ethernet switch (which is what your looking for) and a few computers and this baby on it as part of the LAN.

A Router is a combination of the two. Most of the time you get them with a modem built in, wireless access and 4 ports for a wired connection. Looking at the maplin site it cost you about £30. You can get routers specifically for cable lines (such as virgin) like THIS ONE for an extra fiver. It means you effectively replace your cable modem with this box, it opens up another 3 ethernet ports, adds wireless and all that jazz.

Hope this helps somewhat!
If you want to "extend" the number of Ethernet ports - you'll need one of these : http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=34826&doy=4m1 - The wireless router WILL operate over wireless and cable at the same time - addin this switch will allow you to - connect the wireless router to the switch - then the switch to the cable modem and other PCs/laptops (over cable...)
I know it's T55's problem, but suggesting paying an extra 27.99 is a bit much when a replacement that does evertything needed is an extra fiver.

Last edited:

T55

Sergeant
Cheers gents, thanks very much for your help. (Doubtless I have proven that sooties should not be let loose with electronics!)

Back