• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

wrong keys!

wally375

Corporal
Hello. Got a bit of a problem with my mum's PC. When she types o she gets o= and when she types l she gets lkkkkk etc. The left hand side of the keyboard is fine. Any ideas? She did tell me that she's not done anything like splill coffee on it (bet she did) but I'm miles away and trying to fix it over the phone is like getting JPA to work!

Any help much appreciated.

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
It does sound like a spillage to be honest.

Bleedin ell I have destroyed numerous keyboards through knocking a drink all over my keyboard and they have all showed the symptoms you decibe here. It's usually caused by a short and seems how the 0 and = keys are pretty close and the l and k keys are next door to each other its a fair bet that something has been spilt on the right hand side of the keyboard.

You can aometimes sort it out by opening the keyboard up and drying the spillage but it depends on how technically savvy your mam is.

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
Has she got the keyboard set for 'English' usage? At the bottom of the screen and in the middle you should see EN. Last year when I did a complete rehash of my system it defaulted to US.

wally375

Corporal
It does sound like a spillage to be honest.

Bleedin ell I have destroyed numerous keyboards through knocking a drink all over my keyboard and they have all showed the symptoms you decibe here. It's usually caused by a short and seems how the 0 and = keys are pretty close and the l and k keys are next door to each other its a fair bet that something has been spilt on the right hand side of the keyboard.

You can aometimes sort it out by opening the keyboard up and drying the spillage but it depends on how technically savvy your mam is.

Thanks for the reply. She is not savvy about PCs at all so will get here to buy a new one and be done with it!:PDT_Xtremez_30:

MingMong

Warrant Officer
If you get a new one, try putting the old one in the dishwasher.

No, i'm not taking the p1ss, it can work to give them a good clean out, as long as you let it dry properly first. I wouldn't recomend it if it's your only keyboard, but if it is a spare then it may just make it serviceable for future diagnosis or replacement.

Back