• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WSO(Crewman)

• Thread starter Thread starter eddietheboyp
  • Start date Start date
E

eddietheboyp

Hello new to this forum so hi everyone.

I have been looking into applying for WSO(Crewman) however I am interested if anyone knows what the waiting times are from beginning of application to entry of training? (Roughly)

Many thanks

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
NCA application timescales, as those for ground trades, are a 'how long's a piece of string' answer. A lot of the factors influencing timescales are down to you. A lot of factors are down to OASC. There are people going through the selection process now who will start training early next year, if successful, but that won't be the cased for everyone. Unfortunately there is no hard and fast answer.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
You also do know as well that there is no guarantee that you get streamed crewman dont you. Also are you wishing to be streamed fixed wing or rotary wing?? The training for rotary wing is longer than fixed wing.

W

wannabeNCaircrew

Eddy, Ive just been through the selection process for wsop myself. For me, it was roughly nine months from inital enquiry to going to OASC for selection. From inital enquiry to starting training it can be anything from a year upwards. This is all assuming that you pass everything first time and there are no major hick ups in the process. So in short, dont give up your day job/leave uni just yet. Edited to add: Im not sure whether or not wsops are considered to be a "shortage branch". Certainly at my AFCO when I was going through the process they did seem to indicate that most people who were suitable to be forwarded towards OASC as aircrew candidates were going for pilot or WSO, and they had a bit of a problem attracting the right calibre of people to go for wsop. This is not to say that there werent lots of people applying to be wsops, but many people with bags of leadership and teamwork experience, A lvels and degrees etc would go for pilot or WSO over wsop if they wanted to go aircrew. This is probably why so many wsops are recruited from inside the RAF and the other two services. Hope this was of some help.

Back