• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WSO vs WSOp?

• Thread starter Thread starter jamesofdeath
  • Start date Start date
J

jamesofdeath

Afternoon guys. I know that this may well seem a stupid question but I am looking for a little bit of advice none the less. I am interested in joining as a weapons system officer, I've been along to the AFCO and had a chat with them etc and looked into the role. They've told me the recrtuiment stream should be opening up in December.

The thing I cannot seem to figure out is exactly what the big differences are between a weapons system officer and an operator in terms of their job role. Obviously one is on an officers commission but in terms of pay after training and the role itself it doesn't appear to be too different. I think the thing that threw me was when I queried this at the AFCO the guy sort of struggled to tell me exactly what a WSO does over and above an operator.

I'm needing to be 100% clear on it as at present I'm going to be putting WSO down as my first choice with WSOp a 2nd choice.

Sorry if that seems like a bit of a stupid question but like I said, it's more the day to day activites that I'm interested in and how they differ.

Cheers

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
For every number of non-commissioned chaps there needs to be a commissioned chap! So on my sqn we have say 15 Wsop's in one section so in theory we should have 1 WSO for 3rd RO duties, administration, discipline and career guidance....

Thats on big aircraft where when they fly the WSO does no different to a WSOp duty wise...They just have more annual assessments to write and fires to fight when the WSOp's kick up issues.

We won't have many WSO's on fast jets soon I wouldn't have thought but there is no comparison to be made between WSO and WSOp in this case...If you call it 'Nav' its so much easier to fathom in your head!

Back