• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WSOP Trade

• Thread starter Thread starter laura
  • Start date Start date
L

laura

Hi!

I'm wondering if anyone on here has any knowledge/experience of being a NCA WSOP? I have read all the information on the RAF careers website, as well as a number of other sites but information is limited and i'd like to hear from people from this trade or people who know more about it!

I'm currently in the reserves and am trying to get into reg. service. I recently put in an application for Int.O but this trade looks to be closed for a VERY long time, so i'm considering either applying for Int.An which is also closed or WSOP. I would also be interested in WSO but i'm too old now (27). :S

I'd like to know if I do apply for WSOP would there be any possibilities in the future, after experience, of commissioning as an Int.O or maybe even a WSO?

Also, I know the upper age bracket is 36 but would my age make me less competitive in any way?

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
If you tick the boxes, you will be able to commission as a WSO within your branch (for example if you become a Crewman, you would commission as a WSO (Crewman)) but the opportunities come up rarely. If you wanted to commission as a WSO(Nav), you would have to do it before your 30th birthday.

Failing that, if OSB(Int) was your thing then as before, provided you tick the boxes you will be able to commission in that branch.

Don't worry about your age. There are plenty of people who enter the WSOp branch in their 30's. You will have to work harder to keep up physically with the younger guys, but there's no reason why you shouldn't cope with the NCAITC.

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hi!

I'm wondering if anyone on here has any knowledge/experience of being a NCA WSOP? I have read all the information on the RAF careers website, as well as a number of other sites but information is limited and i'd like to hear from people from this trade or people who know more about it!

I'm currently in the reserves and am trying to get into reg. service. I recently put in an application for Int.O but this trade looks to be closed for a VERY long time, so i'm considering either applying for Int.An which is also closed or WSOP. I would also be interested in WSO but i'm too old now (27). :S

I'd like to know if I do apply for WSOP would there be any possibilities in the future, after experience, of commissioning as an Int.O or maybe even a WSO?

Also, I know the upper age bracket is 36 but would my age make me less competitive in any way?

I graduated as an AEOp but go by the handle of WSOp these days...First impression from your post is you don't really know what you want yet...Entering into the flying game is an all or nothing step...They will weed you out at OASC or later during ITC or professional training if you're half hearted about things or distracted with another trade ambition...There is nothing wrong with having commisioning ambitions but one step at a time...NCA training is demanding enough for most people and initially you'll find yourself just wishing to get through that before looking more than a week into the future...

As alluded to in an earlier post fitness is everything at first...On ITC if you're fit it is a little easier...if you're not its a world of hurt.

Use the search button as plenty has been written on this subject in these forums...

Last edited:
L

laura

Thank you. :) No I definitely wouldn't go about anything half heartedly, if I knew it wasn't the right choice for me i'd not have even considered it, unlike ATC, which a number of people have recommended it to me and no matter how much i've read up on it, it just doesn't feel like the right choice.

I just wanted to know about the commissioning possibilities just to know that the options are there for the future. :PDT_Xtremez_19: I'm aware that they are probably going to ask me about my future ambitions if I get to interview stage too!

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Laura, Vim has made a strong and valid point about concentrating on NCAITC that you should bear in mind. However, when you get to OASC, you are best to put other options on your application just to cover your own back. If you are unable to make the grade for NCA and you just have that on your application, you will be binned off selection. However, if you have a couple of other options, provided you have passed the aptitude scores for the other branches, they will continue your application in one of your cchoices. Make sure that you don't go in with a purely NCA head-on and you cover your own back. Just a thought.....

L

laura

Thanks for the advice! You're right... but what The Cpl at the AFCO did was instead of making me submit a totally new application she has just added WSOp to my existing application (as it was made so recently) so now I have WSOp and Int.O down as my two options.

Although as Int.O is closed I could possibly get binned off anyway?

I've done a lot of reading up about both the trades and what the training requires etc. I've been to speak to the guy who runs the Int.O course and spoken to other people within the trade and have read up what I can find about the NCA training and it sounds great.. very tough but good!! I've been told by a couple of people about the opportunities (albeit very very few!) for Aircrew Int.O's and if I were successful as Int.O that is what I would have liked to aim for.

If I failed at OASC for both (:S) then my next option would be to go for Int.An and try to get some experience in the ranks before reapplying. I just want to aim for as high as I can and if I don't make the grade then at least i'll know where I can improve and just go from there!

Last edited:
Back