• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Xp 64?

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
I'm casting round to upgrade my PC. I'd rather keep the Hard drives (SATA & IDE), the twin floppies and the two DVDs, all in the tower box.
I'm not a heavy gamer but I would like to fly the Sim with fewer limits.

I rather fancy an AMD Athlon 64 duo(?) CPU, but I know nothing about Sempron, and all the other strange names.

Some guidance would be very welcome. Can I, for example just whack my HDD with XP thereon and watch it work, or is it a total software re-build ?
Would I need to get XP64 ?

XB

M

monobrow

(1) Can I, for example just whack my HDD with XP thereon and watch it work, or is it a total software re-build ?

(2) Would I need to get XP64 ?
(1) Yes and No. You can sometimes get away with it if say your motherboard chipset is made by Via, and you buy a Via as an upgrade. Note that it is not the actual manufacturer (ASUS, ABit, FoxConn, etc) but the chipset. However it's like anything you want to plug in to the system it'll need drivers. The crux of an OS is that it can talk to all the bits it needs to on the motherboard to work. It may give you a blue screen, it may run slowly (for what you upgraded to). Only way to unleash it entirly is a complete re-install of XP.

(2) You wouldn't need XP64 as it'll work with the normal XP.

Hope this helps a bit

MingMong

Warrant Officer
What CPU are you running at the moment? It might be that in order to upgrade the processor you might need to get a new motherboard. In that case it would probably be better to do a complete fresh install of windows, if nothing else, it will give your hard drives a good clear out and probably speed up your disk access speeds.

Also, why keep the twin floppy drives? Floppy disks are pretty much a thing of the past now, so unless you have a specific reason for needing 2 drives, why not consider ditching one (or even both) of them and getting a multi card reader that would fit in the same slot and probably be a lot more useful.

welshjpc

Corporal
If you had a V12 car, but only ran engine management for a V6, you would see that as a waste. running a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit chip is essentially the same (ok sumpies I know its not physically correct but its the easiest decription I can think of).

I have been used 64 bit XP for over a year before upgrading to 64 bit Vista. Therefore I have a genuine 64 Bit XP Pro for sale by the way........

PM me for further details if you want EX

Back