• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

XP problems

• Thread starter Thread starter Justacabbie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Justacabbie

Hi all, My other halfs pc wont boot, it gets as far as the windows screen then reboots giving safe mode options etc. No matter which option you choose it reboots at the windows screen again! I have a very strong feeling I'm gonna need to use a rescue disc but the PC came with windows already installed so no discs.

Firstly, any ideas to stop this perpetual rebooting,
Secondly, if im gonna need to do a rescue, and ideas how I can achieve this without a disc. Ie a download I could burn to CCROM on my lappy.

Cheers in advance

XP problems

What processor is in the computer and have you just downloaded and tried to install XP SP3. If the answers are 'non intel' and yes, this is a common problem with a few little fixes on the web.

J

Justacabbie

What processor is in the computer and have you just downloaded and tried to install XP SP3. If the answers are 'non intel' and yes, this is a common problem with a few little fixes on the web.

Correct on both counts ill google it. Thanks

J

Justacabbie

Just read through some forums. Most if not all say I need a windows CD which i dont have. Guess its a trip to the local pc repair shop

XP problems

Sorted mine without a disk, I downloaded a script and booted it up in safe mode then ran the script. I know you said yours still re-boots in safe mode as did mine but I worked around it. I'll have a look and see if I can dig out where I got the fix from.

XP Probs

XP Probs

It isn't that complicated, all you need to do is stop your computer continually rebooting (he describes how to do this and gives a screen shot - pictured just over half way down the page), boot into safe mode, download the script and run it then reboot computer.

Anyway, good luck.

J

Justacabbie

OK well im now on the other halfs PC so glad to report I fixed it! Thanks Mr Wickets for your help. Heres what I did
I downloaded bartpe onto a cdrom from my laptop using files off my own pc.
I ran it from boot up on PC in question, which enabled very limited resources but nevertheless a slightly more working pc than before.
It enabled me to operate the cmd function so i ran chkdsk from there.
It found a miriad of corrupt files and fixed them.
I rebooted and here we are!
Im now sitting slightly smug in the knowledge that my pint of Stella has been wholly earned, and the family can now all disappear to various holes in the house and not have to talk to eachother!
Favours will be called in with other half when the younger members have finally retired to bed!
Have a great weekend all, I know I will!!!!:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back