• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yaksh!t

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Why is yellow chromate jointing compound called Yaksh!t by riggers. I was asked this today and I haven't a clue. I know why it's used, where it's used, , which book to read find the right one you need etc etc. I even recall my old civvy instructor in 19 frozen to death calling it Yaksh!t when I was in training but I have no idea why that term is used.

(If you google Yaksh!t you get pictures of what look like brown cow turds:PDT_Xtremez_21:)

Over to you.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Why is yellow chromate jointing compound called Yaksh!t by riggers. I was asked this today and I haven't a clue. I know why it's used, where it's used, , which book to read find the right one you need etc etc. I even recall my old civvy instructor in 19 frozen to death calling it Yaksh!t when I was in training but I have no idea why that term is used.

(If you google Yaksh!t you get pictures of what look like brown cow turds:PDT_Xtremez_21:)

Over to you.
Probably because when the first armourer made a Yellow Chromate Butty that is what he said it tasted like:PDT_Xtremez_05:::D:

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I think it also may be known as Mastinox. Very good at its job, but very toxic and highly carcinogenic.

TW

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Perhaps the one who gave it the name had seen Yak Sh!t ?
Lost in the mists of time, I suspect.

Ex-Splitter and Proud

Flight Sergeant
TB - you really need to get out a bit more!!

Well - it ain't because it looks like it....

Tibet689.JPG

Amazing what Google can do, isn't it?:PDT_Xtremez_17:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If you google Yaksh!t you get pictures of what look like brown cow turds:PDT_Xtremez_21:

My words from post#1

I might need to get out more but reading all the posts helps to.

Last edited:

Goatherdingsplitter

Rebel without a clue
XB that's the very stuff I am asking about, bright yellow Duralac JC5A. The question is why do people call it yaksh!t.

If you think JC5A was bad, you haven't experienced Polycast; a similarly yellow hideous two part compound, used widely on the venerable Wessex. The stuff was so good that you could remove all the 40 odd bolts from the fuselage to tail cone transport joint (frame 316 if I recall correctly) and jack the cab up without the joint separating. The only thing that could get it off your clothes was MEK. Oh happy days:PDT_Xtremez_44:

P

pjvr99

Mastinox I know as ducksh!t - has a rather striking resemblance. However, it
was banned from use in SA Air Force around 1998 as being too dangerous ..... they
gave us some other cr@p that turned out to be even more dangerous, but
much cheaper .....

I seem to recall a big survey on who had been exposed to this stuff about 20 years ago, when Elfin Safety realised it was yet another substance which was widely used and never understood.

I was a Victor tank rat and came across it quite a lot, I think Nimrod and Lightning major teams were among the major users alongside us.

Oh the blessed days of ignorance, when you front and backed 4 Conways with MEK and struggled to get out of the 4th intake/jetpipe because you were absolutely blootered on the fumes!

Jimps

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
I seem to recall a big survey on who had been exposed to this stuff about 20 years ago, when Elfin Safety realised it was yet another substance which was widely used and never understood.

I was a Victor tank rat and came across it quite a lot, I think Nimrod and Lightning major teams were among the major users alongside us.

Oh the blessed days of ignorance, when you front and backed 4 Conways with MEK and struggled to get out of the 4th intake/jetpipe because you were absolutely blootered on the fumes!

Jimps

you are talking about MEK now right? You should have been in Base hanger at BZN on 3AMS when the VC-10 wing ignited full of MEK! 3 lucky civvies!

panwash

LAC
Seem to remember in the Cornish Airforce it was called Yak **** as that was what you tended to say when it got on your paws and denims. You could always wash it off with Gorilla Snot though. :PDT_Xtremez_35:

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
Yeah you is right the Nimmy uses a lot of yak**** , i not sure on the story either I just assumed it resembled yak poop.
When i worked many years ago in the tyre bay we used to coat all wheel bolts in the stuff when assembling , did not have gloves and all that on as at time people never really thought it was bad for you.Only many years later you realised it was very bad stuff. Maybe thats why i cant spell now as my brain been frazzed by JC5 lol

Back