• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A geek in need!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter monobrow
  • Start date Start date
M

monobrow

Fellow geeks, I need help!!!!

My pooter keeps going mental after about 5 - 10 mins from switch on regardless of what I'm doing. Symptoms include, the mouse "locks" in vertical motion, will only go horizontally, then after a couple of clicks, hear a beep from the PC speaker then the screen goes garbled and it locks completely.

Currently running on a Knoppix CD (thank got I've got it, and so far it's actually working ok so far (15 mins and counting)

There is a hardware snag though, the Northbridge (or chipset) heatsink+fan is more tempramental than Mrs_M after I've been out on the tiles.

Any ideas???

Cheers!

Mono

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow geeks, I need help!!!!

My pooter keeps going mental after about 5 - 10 mins from switch on regardless of what I'm doing. Symptoms include, the mouse "locks" in vertical motion, will only go horizontally, then after a couple of clicks, hear a beep from the PC speaker then the screen goes garbled and it locks completely.

Currently running on a Knoppix CD (thank got I've got it, and so far it's actually working ok so far (15 mins and counting)

There is a hardware snag though, the Northbridge (or chipset) heatsink+fan is more tempramental than Mrs_M after I've been out on the tiles.

Any ideas???

Cheers!

Mono

Sounds like temperature overheat Mono my old china. Have a look in your BIOS to see if there is a automatic shutdown, this will shut your system down when the CPU reaches a specified temperature.

Incidentally, what SPEC CPU and what cooling systems have you got?

MP

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If the CPU is reading more than 66 Degrees Celsius, it's probably overheating. if you haven't got a temp sensor, you can use this software if you have a relatively modern motherboard.

M

monobrow

CPU is always around 45-50 deg C. It's an Athlon 3000+ Barton core, it's getting on a bit, but to be honest I'm not sure if thats the problem.

I've had graphics problems for ages playing games and whilst the symptoms keep changing it invariably ends up (if left for long enough) the monitor swithches off (TFT says "no signal")

It's chuffing odd that linux runs sweetly from a CD boot disk though! Anyone know if knoppix has anti virus and stuff installed, I haven't managed to find my hard drive yet on this!!!

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If you are running a Linux based OS, you may find you are running a "live CD". In this case, you'll probably find your not putting too much of a strain on the CPU, your optical drive is probably doing most of the work!

If you say you are having problems with your GFx card, the it could still be a computer overheating issue. Take your case apart and clear out all the fluff and dust. Also, check to see if your GFx card is running properly. Also, try downloading the latest graphics card drivers to help cure issues.
Another thing to check is the PSU fan(s) are working correctly and aren't clogged up with crap.

The final non-tech thing to do is the "touch test" on the heatsink for the CPU, if it's uncomfortably hot (not just warm to the touch) you probably need to upgrade your CPU cooler.

Everything in me says it's an overheating problem of some kind tbh.

Last edited:

gray

Sergeant
Seems like graphics card overheating, or expanding and a dry joint is causing problems. Maybe your Linux takes a lot less video power, so the card stays cooler longer ?

Try reseating the graphics card for starters.

Gray

Last edited:
M

monobrow

Monty, I am indeed running a "Live CD" but if Linux works for now, I might have to go the long way around making this dual boot into Linux if thats what works!!!

Checked the fans, all good. Incoming air (80mm) exhaust (80mm) video card (40mm + heatsink) CPU cooler (Thermaltake with a small mod so you don't get a "blind spot" in air flow) and PSU are all good. Only one thats dodgy is the chipset one. Christ knows where I'd get something to replace it though (pic attached minus ABit cover).

Latest graphics drivers caused crash after crash (blue screen of death) even when it WAS working ok! My old Radeon 9600 Pro just doesn't cut it these days!!!! So went with some old 4.12 drivers I have stashed ;) They work.

Heatsink isn't that warm, certainly not alarmingly so!!!!

Grey, I'll give that a shot in the not too distant future!

Cheers guys.

P.S. almost 2 hours of running Linux and no problems.... Me thinks I may have to convert to the ways of the penguin.

Last edited:

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Replacement chipset coolers are available here

It's not massively easy to do, but replacing your fan could be the solution.

When you say it's tempremental do you mean it doesn't work? is it sticking? grinding?

I'd say the thermalright HR05 chipset cooler could be the way forward (assuming it's compatible with your mobo.

Don't forget, when installing it, to use thermal grease in copious amounts!!!

G

gemarriott

And he's an Armourer ^^^^^^^^^^^

Good on yer Monty I'm so proud they can't call us thick now:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Might I suggest the liney solution

Drop the fekker and fill in an insurance claim FFS :PDT_Xtremez_30:

shettie

Flight Sergeant
Mono - before you spend any dosh on new bits - dismantle it - seriously - remove all plugs off the mother baord - disconnect all the drive cables - take the memory and any cards off the mother board - when it's empty - put it back together again! If you can run the PC with just hard drive, memory and video card - try it like that for an evening - then start adding back any other cards (modems etc...) and see if that fixes it - also check your PSU for clag and dust - if it's dirty - hoover it out.

G

gemarriott

I notice he didn't pop down the egoat armooury for advice, I have been warming up a 14 pound sledge screwdriver for the job:PDT_Xtremez_14:

Got to hand it to this new breed of plumber they can even spell:PDT_Xtremez_30:

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
Can they translate all of this thread into English though WTF!. Hu has the right idea and send it skydiving. How about Brufen and Tubi grip:PDT_Xtremez_42:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Mono. put it back in the box and give it to your neighbour ! tell him your too thick to own a computer :PDT_Xtremez_31: :PDT_Xtremez_29:

M

monobrow

I notice he didn't pop down the egoat armooury for advice, I have been warming up a 14 pound sledge screwdriver for the job:PDT_Xtremez_14:

Got to hand it to this new breed of plumber they can even spell:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Thats because I would like it to work at some point! Christ, at least it's working even though it can't run windows!

Can they translate all of this thread into English though WTF!. Hu has the right idea and send it skydiving. How about Brufen and Tubi grip:PDT_Xtremez_42:

No, however I could start really laying on the geek speak thick if you want...

Mono. put it back in the box and give it to your neighbour ! tell him your too thick to own a computer :PDT_Xtremez_31: :PDT_Xtremez_29:

Thats the last time you get help from me welshboy!

However cheers Shettie, I'll give that one a shot.

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Thats the last time you get help from me welshboy!

Took your time gettig back dude !! :PDT_Xtremez_15:
That's a bugger as I was going to ask you about wireless network security this evening !! :PDT_Xtremez_42:
I just couldn't resist it you know !! :PDT_Xtremez_06:

M

maninthevan

Sounds like the best option to me m8...

Some good deals around at the mo...

P.S. WTF are doing coming to us lot for advice anyway Mono..? We come to you normally!!!

M

monobrow

P.S. WTF are doing coming to us lot for advice anyway Mono..? We come to you normally!!!

I know, I know....

My geek skills are obviously fading though. Downloading Ubuntu in the hope I can re-partition and keep my old stuff. Luckily with a bit of geeking I mounted me SATA hard drive so I can recover some pics/music/documents. At least that way if it all goes pete tong I haven't lost everything.

With a bit of Wine action, I might be gaming again!!!!

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant

I know, I know....

My geek skills are obviously fading though. Downloading Ubuntu in the hope I can re-partition and keep my old stuff. Luckily with a bit of geeking I mounted me SATA hard drive so I can recover some pics/music/documents. At least that way if it all goes pete tong I haven't lost everything.

I wouldn't count on it, Wine has trouble running a load of games, believe me I tried.
Cedega is a games oriented Wine development, although you have to pay for it. If you PM me I may be able to help you out there.
Regarding your hardware, I would say that it sound like a overheating problem. Have you taken the fan off the Heatsink for your processor and had a check underneath? I fixed a friends who had a similar problem by doing just that and removing a carpet of dust from underneath it.
Otherwise it may be your GPU, I take it you have an AGP slot? I'll have a dig about to see if I have a spare you can test with.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

I know, I know....

As good as a Linux based OS is mate, you'll end up running a dual boot system. I tried to get by using just Linux, but couldn't - there's just so much stuff that needs Windows that WiNE can't emulate properly.

Dual boot is the way to go.

MP

PS: I keep telling the Fairies on shift I could do their job - but as it's gay, I prefer to put bombs on and spend all day lazing around the crewroom. :PDT_Xtremez_26:

Back