• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A geek in need!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter monobrow
  • Start date Start date

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
PS: I keep telling the Fairies on shift I could do their job - but as it's gay, I prefer to put bombs on and spend all day lazing around the crewroom. :PDT_Xtremez_26:

Your fairies must be well gay if they actually go out and do work.....ours are in the crewroom more than fecking armourers........says Tashy Man, Ex Fairy, now Line Controller......denims, what fecking denims.....

Crack on..........:PDT_Xtremez_09:

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
well i think the problem is this thread,:PDT_Xtremez_35: as my puter decided to throw up the dreaded blue screen of death just as i was reading your woes. so cheers. it sound like you having the similar probs as me. this steam powered heap of crap randomly freezes up, blue screen of death and wont always boot up. i no for a fact i have multiple driver problems (mainly graphics) and excess heat (i have to run it with one side of the case off and de-dust every week). puters are rubbish. oh and the fact that you have an ATI card is the route of all your problems they are hand made in hell by beelzebub himself. never had one that worked properly!

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
well i think the problem is this thread,:PDT_Xtremez_35: as my puter decided to throw up the dreaded blue screen of death just as i was reading your woes. so cheers. it sound like you having the similar probs as me. this steam powered heap of crap randomly freezes up, blue screen of death and wont always boot up. i no for a fact i have multiple driver problems (mainly graphics) and excess heat (i have to run it with one side of the case off and de-dust every week). puters are rubbish. oh and the fact that you have an ATI card is the route of all your problems they are hand made in hell by beelzebub himself. never had one that worked properly!

Dear Lord you're not still running '98 or, God forbid, ME are you?
You're right about ATI, they are bl@@dy awful graphics cards, clunky, hot & have absolutely terrible drivers. Plus their support for Linux is absolute p1sh. I had these cards for years, never again, NVidia all the way cheers.

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
Dear Lord you're not still running '98 or, God forbid, ME are you?You're right about ATI, they are bl@@dy awful graphics cards, clunky, hot & have absolutely terrible drivers. Plus their support for Linux is absolute p1sh. I had these cards for years, never again, NVidia all the way cheers.

nope the all singing all dancing moded up XP. and what the hell is this linux everyone is on about. im not geeked up enough to know!

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
nope the all singing all dancing moded up XP. and what the hell is this linux everyone is on about. im not geeked up enough to know!

I would class myself as an Ex Geek.....I know about Linux in so much as it is another operating system but will not run all that windows can..........so in my eyes it's crap then and i have never tried it.

Crack on.........................:PDT_Xtremez_09:

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
I would class myself as an Ex Geek.....I know about Linux in so much as it is another operating system but will not run all that windows can..........so in my eyes it's crap then and i have never tried it.

Crack on.........................:PDT_Xtremez_09:

You're right it is an alternative operating system.
It's different from Windows in the same way that a Mac's Operating system is different.
The software that it doesn't run from Windows can usually be replaced by a free alternative that is just as good,
ie Photoshop under Windows, The GIMP under Linux.
However, It's not for the faint hearted, but for a fast secure Virus immune Internet experience Linux Kicks Windows all over the shop.
I dual Boot, Linux for the Internet and general use, Windows for Games and nowt else. Basically when I switch the 'pooter on I choose which OS to boot into.

TM, if you've never tried it how can you possibly comment? An uniformed opinion is a useless one.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
TM, if you've never tried it how can you possibly comment? An uniformed opinion is a useless one.

Well i can't really, however i've never seen the need for it.....i will be getting a few more new computers in the next 6 months so i might convert these to linux only models.....but for what purpose ?

Answers on a postcard...................:PDT_Xtremez_09:

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
Well i can't really, however i've never seen the need for it.....i will be getting a few more new computers in the next 6 months so i might convert these to linux only models.....but for what purpose ?

Answers on a postcard...................:PDT_Xtremez_09:

Well I found that for general browsing and document work a PC running Linux (Ubuntu say) was great, purely because I could let any family member on it secure in the knowledge that it was virtually bomb proof.
The amount of XP wrecks I have had to recover for mates because of their insecure nature of their browsing and downloading habits I have lost count of.
Plus, I was getting twitchy over Internet Banking etc, and would rather use an OS that every hacker on earth isn't trying to wrench apart at the seams to do it.
A Good firewall, Spyware & Virus Scanner helps, but only does so much. Much better to have those and an OS that isn't being routinely targeted to destruction.
I still use XP for gaming though, Linux can't touch it for that (yet) purely because only a tiny amount of the big name Programming houses are writing games for Linux. However there are thousands of free alternatives, these are usually community driven though.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

CoD, have you thought about upgrading your CPU, GFx and case fans? What about a new PSU? Heatsinks for your RAM and Hard drive?

Also, check the thermal paste layer between your CPU and CPU heatsink, amazing how many computer "experts" build systems without using thermal paste!!!!

Fellow geeks, I need help!!!!

My pooter keeps going mental after about 5 - 10 mins from switch on regardless of what I'm doing. Symptoms include, the mouse "locks" in vertical motion, will only go horizontally, then after a couple of clicks, hear a beep from the PC speaker then the screen goes garbled and it locks completely.

Currently running on a Knoppix CD (thank got I've got it, and so far it's actually working ok so far (15 mins and counting)

There is a hardware snag though, the Northbridge (or chipset) heatsink+fan is more tempramental than Mrs_M after I've been out on the tiles.

Any ideas???

Cheers!

Mono

Hi Mono,

Having read through the posts it seems that you are able to run your system 'ish' on 'another OS' successfully. (BTW - I've found that Knoppix is Ok for 'viewing' bit - but not for 'doing' bit, so would not recommend it for any kind of 'repairs' - been there, tried that, did'nt work, but only after many hours)

You say chipset ? I've had one with a dry joint before now, but they usually cause power spikes and shut down the power supply immediately. If you get past the motherboard to the PCI's/USB's, you could be having driver problems with your peripheral hardware i.e. I had very similar symptoms you describe when I used a USB WiFi dongle. Symptoms were that it would crash anywhere from 10 mins to 1 hour, sometimes taking the mouse with it & other times not

Alternatively however, and more suspiciously, you could also have a root kit virus installed and hiding as part of your OS trying to use 'exploits' on your OS. These 'exploits' deliberately try to force feed themselves past the buffer and straight into the CPU and can sometimes 'trip' the OS and give you the symptoms you mention.

If this is the case, then I agree with others in this thread that dual boot is the way to go to eliminate/confirm this by installing a clean OS with up to date Virus Killing Defs (root kit killing ones) - but theres no need to jump over to the Penguin if you don't need to.

If you are able (have copy of XP), why not install a perm/temp second copy of XP to another disk, one that is configured/fitted to IDE 2 for instance

- or - to another partition on the same/original disk

- or - as an 'emergency' you can even install to the same partition on the same/original disk, but now to a different Windows folder ie C:\Windows.000. (this choice can give registry probs though)

If you get issues with the licensing, pick the 'later' option and if you decide to keep your 'new' installation, the MS helpdesk will even allow you a couple of changes to your hardware/Ser No before they get tired and eventually 'switch you off' ie, you/your SerNo will get kicked off the WGA list.

So anyhow, any of the above solutions should now give you a multiple OS boot situation where you can retain your original sys whilst also giving you the opportunity to assess your hardware/drivers against a clean OS - and more importantly, allow your 'New' virus checker to 'jump over the fence' and clean your original OS, and thus any nastie/root kit, which will now effectively be 'switched off'

Hope this is of some use

TFH

P

prop135

I have had a similer problem with a PC recently, it turned out to be a knackered motherboard.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Hi Mono,

I had this problem. It turned out that the PSU was getting over-warm and upsetting everything else. A new PSU (£20), a case fan and a good going over with Norton AV (and a few other bits), sorted it out quite well.

:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Back