• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A question from an “Old Rigger”.

G

gemarriott

intersting read Mono, a real catalogue of causes and apparently top latch itself was not at fault even if the correct operation of and fitting of the whole system was if not at fault certainly suspect.

I' would have been amazed with all the problems in the build up to fitting that seat if something simple like leaving a handwheel on was the cause.

One thing did strike me and that is the practice of changing guns in the seat fit. On Bucc and Tomb seats we would never have been allowed to do that as the seat bay matched seats to guns. Also we had a extra toplatch mechanism check on both those aircraft which would probably have spotted the fault.

Shugster

Warrant Officer
I'm certain that they would have loved to, however the cause of that accident has never been fully confirmed. A failure of the top latch assembly remains the most likely cause but there is a possibility that 3 different plumbers failed to spot the same mistake on the fit but like many I remain sceptical.

However I am sure the armourers enjoyed the beer from Langworthy's first 2 sqdn ejection which was caused by a rigger failing to fit a split pin to an aileron linkage and not spotted in vitals or indies and the Bruggen plumbers enjoyed their beer after riggers failed to lock the wing down and a 17 sqdn (I think) kite did a bruggen salute,

Put your own house in order before you start throwing stones.

I'm not saying other trades don't make mistakes, the difference is we don't expect special treatment when it goes right.

Notred13

LAC
In my opinion the Armourers can have as much beer as they want, and the squippers, believe me it's the best feeling in the world when every single part of the AAES works perfectly and delivers you relatively safely back to terra firma. Although, just over two and a half years ago I would have quite happily slagged 'em off with the rest of you! Well done to all of you knuckle draggers who do a sterling job in ensuring that it can only work first time every time.cup of corrrfeee

Back