• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advice on joining as a SNCO ATC

• Thread starter Thread starter scbond
  • Start date Start date

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
I'm not sure what you may have been told elsewhere, but you allude a couple of times to getting relevant experience/ qualifications for civilian ATC?
Currently, after qualifying as a Military ATC, you will have no recognised qualifications whatsoever. If you are thinking to the future and a potential civilian career, you would be better advised to put your energies into that now. It will save yourself a whole lot of time and effort.
I do not wish to p1ss on your chips, but I still speak to potential ATC even now who have the wrong impression as to what they will get from Military controlling.
I am happy to offer you any advice on the controlling aspect, but I am no medical expert, and I have no idea what the AFCOs are advising these days.

F

fatbaztod

I was going to start a new thread but seen this thread instead and thought I'd jump on this.

I am interested in joining up as a SNCO ATC. I have a HND in Sports Science and Key Skills level 2 in English and in maths. Would these be sufficient for the job role?

The other thing I am worried about is not so much the fitness (I can do the press ups and sit ups no prolem and can run 3 miles in 21 mins) but it is the health side of it, especiallt the BMI. I used to do a lot of weightlifting and as a knock on effect my BMI is 33. To put it into perspective if I was to lose every ounce of body fat (which I like to point out I have no intention of doing) I will be around 28 on the BMI. Is this going to be a problem?

Other than that I obviously am thinking abouit the aptitude tests but I think I need to know about these two things first. BUt If any one can give me some good tips at what I should be looking at the help will be much appreciated.

Merrick

LAC
I'm no expert but I don't think Key Skills are at the same level as GCSE's and reading through this thread a GCSE Grade B in Maths would seem to be a requirement for the role.

As far as BMI's go, I read on the Careers site that there is a bit of wriggle room here. If you are over the suggested BMI you could still be accepted if you waist measurement is below a certain size.

Its on the Health and Fitness pages just under where it gives a chart of what range your BMI should be in.

F

fatbaztod

Cheers Merrick, it's a good thing I put in my Key Skills level 3 in maths instead. But that was more for my ego than good forsight.

Any idea what I should be looking at/studying for the aptitude tests?

Merrick

LAC
They're not really something you can study for apart from brushing up on doing maths quickly in your head. My AFCO sent me links to a website (non RAF) where there were practice papers to try out.

Back