• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aircraft Tech (Av) and ATC

• Thread starter Thread starter Philott88
  • Start date Start date
P

Philott88

Hello

I have just applied for the Aircraft Tech (AV) role. The job seems very interesting, I'm hereto ask any current Aircraft Techs for their thoughts on the role. I would like to receive some insight into the job and any pro's con's. How the first few years are and any experiences you've had. I understand that you first study as an AMM and I wouldn't be much into mechanics at the minute, however, I have never studied any type of mechanics so I can not say if I love or hate it.

Although I have applied for the Aircraft Tech role, the current ATC role also interests me. I understand that the job is a very high pressure job and the training to be tough, the salary offered for only needing 5 GCSEs is massive though and I can't get my head round it? I would like to ask anyone in that current job as well if they could offer any kind of insight into it, how the training is and what opportunities are available once training is complete.

I would be very grateful for any replies just to get a feel of both positions from current or past employees. Thanks

duffman

Flight Sergeant
Well I'm an a/c tech (although not av) it's quite a wide question you've asked, the pros you get to go away quite a bit as you'll be guranteed a posting on sqn. It'll be an eye opener as it will be no doubt busy and you'll (should) enjoy this. Cons the money is crap, it can be a wait until you get the further training course which gets you more cash. The job can be a bit samey towards the end before you leave for your FT, and not knowing that much can leave you feeling like a spare wheel. Your chances of being posted overseas to live there are probably the lowest there are.

If you want to know more specifically ask away. :PDT_Xtremez_19:

As to ATC sorry don't know anything about that.

Last edited:

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
As a long served AV Tech I would advise you to join up as ATC (or admin).

Reasons,

Pay - same
Promotion - quicker (less ranks)
Chances of overseas tours - massively in the favour of the ATC (admin dudes. Embassy Posts etc).
Warm/cool offices depending on the time of year.
More birds than you can possibly cope with.

Hmmmmmmm, where do I go to remuster?

Yes I am jealous.

P

Philott88

Thanks for your comments. Im in a bad location, I live in Northern Ireland and the only AFCO over here is in Belfasts Palace Barracks which is about an hour and a half away, I work mon - fri and its trying to get a day off sorted to go up there and have a decent chat is the problem.

I would definately enjoy a posting overseas having lived in Germany and Cyprus while my dad was in the Forces. You mention your still able to go away quite a bit, is that for 6 week or so? Ive heard that promotion as a Tech is quite hard to come by? I see the money starting at 17k after 6 months, true? That wouldnt be so bad for me as Im currently on about 13.5 doing a job I detest! How long does the training last from start to finish? Is there much classroom time?

Last edited:

wench02

SAC
On the flip side... if your female and going into engineering, does that mean there will be plenty of blokes for me!

duffman

Flight Sergeant
Thanks for your comments. Im in a bad location, I live in Northern Ireland and the only AFCO over here is in Belfasts Palace Barracks which is about an hour and a half away, I work mon - fri and its trying to get a day off sorted to go up there and have a decent chat is the problem.

I would definately enjoy a posting overseas having lived in Germany and Cyprus while my dad was in the Forces. You mention your still able to go away quite a bit, is that for 6 week or so? Ive heard that promotion as a Tech is quite hard to come by? I see the money starting at 17k after 6 months, true? That wouldnt be so bad for me as Im currently on about 13.5 doing a job I detest! How long does the training last from start to finish? Is there much classroom time?

Hahaha Cornish, I take it females are hard to come by in the Tech business?

Posting overseas as a tech is very slim to nil. As to time away can be anywhere from a few days to months. All depends on what sort of a/c but generally exercises around the 3 week mark upto 4 months for desert ops. Yes promotion is slow in technical trades. Training the first time is about 6 months.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
There are some birds in the techy world, but they are always being biffed by Rocks, Firemen or PTI's

Oh and talking about this thread at work roday I was reminded that you don't even have to work on wednesday afternoons in the admin trade!

D

dozyscopie1

Take into account air tragic is merging with TG12, not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Soon find out I guess.:PDT_Xtremez_42:

olliepop

Corporal
Hi, am an Av Tech. I think at the moment as was mentioned before the initial engineering training is 6 months. You will then be posted onto a squadron or into a bay. On the squadron as an AMM (aircraft maintenance mechanic) you will be mostly used as a 'liney'. This would involve 'see ins' (marshalling aircraft in and doing flight servicings/refuels/oils) and see offs (prepping aircraft for flight/helping aircrew strap into seats(fast jets)/marshalling aircraft off the chocks). This is done in all weathers and at all times of day. If posted into the bay. You may be used to service/repair/help in fault diagnosis of LRUs (line replaceable units aka black boxes). These could be autopilot boxes, main computers, control panels, RADARs etc etc.
You will do this for roughly 12-18 months (sometimes longer) until you get a further training course which I think is 14/18 months. (keeps changing). After you have done your Further training you will become an SAC(T) which means that you may be used to assist in fault diagnosis/repair of aircraft. On the other hand you may still be used as a liney. As was also mentioned before... Promotion is slow, the work can be hard and also, tedious.
No doubt the AFCO will tell you how exciting it will be but, in reality you will be kicking tyres and putting fuel and oil in an aircraft for the first few years of your career. I am not trying to put you off just sharing the reality of it. It is a good job and once you get your head into it can be interesting.
On the other hand ATC you will be in a nice cosy office, never have to get dirty, get paid the same. For doing a hell of alot less.
Good luck :)

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Philott88:531643 said:

Hahaha Cornish, I take it females are hard to come by in the Tech business?

Have you considered REME? Promotion much quicker than RAF technicians and you'll be able to serve at Aldergrove if you fancy getting closer to home in the future.

wench02

SAC
I would have done... if I have known my trade (gen tec mech) was going to be closed down a week later.

Just wondering if anyone has anymore update on this? Facebook careers page said avionics may be opening up again in the near future...

I would have done... if I have known my trade (gen tec mech) was going to be closed down a week later.

Just wondering if anyone has anymore update on this? Facebook careers page said avionics may be opening up again in the near future...

I was speaking to couple of lad's on the Facebook page who's PRTC dates had been cancelled twice. I think it's a trade group that's been earmarked for heavy redundancies so manning's probably getting messed around with right now.

Usually the Facebook page will post of an opening around a week before hand, however that's only for people who are registered with the career's line.

wench02

SAC
Yes I am aware that the openings can be posted on the FB page... currently going for a different trade, however if this should come up I would be very interested in it. Hence not registered for emails when role available!

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Don't suppose anyone has got any more info have they :(

If you don't know Wench02, I doubt anyone else will know - you do seem to be pretty well up on vacancies etc and have AFCO on speed dial.

Patience........................

Back