• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AMM postings help required

• Thread starter Thread starter gb4ever
  • Start date Start date
G

gb4ever

Hi all, I am currently going through my AMM training at costford and have just recieved my 'dream sheet' for postings. I am thinking of applying, primarily, for rotary with 28 Sqn Raf benson being my prefered choice followed by chinooks. But i am also toying with the idea of going on hercules or even applying for typhoon as my trade is Avionics.

I would appreciate any information from anyone on or who has been on those bases as to what the jobs like but also what the guys/areas like to live in as well.

Thanks for any help you can provide

GB

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Hi all, I am currently going through my AMM training at costford and have just recieved my 'dream sheet' for postings. I am thinking of applying, primarily, for rotary with 28 Sqn Raf benson being my prefered choice followed by chinooks. But i am also toying with the idea of going on hercules or even applying for typhoon as my trade is Avionics.

I would appreciate any information from anyone on or who has been on those bases as to what the jobs like but also what the guys/areas like to live in as well.

Thanks for any help you can provide

GB

Off Topic Firstly GB, what base are you at?? costford or RAF Cosford?

BTW you're spelling and grammar is sh1te

Off Topic

M

mr_fingle

Well there's AMMS for ya FOMz:D

GB - you have mentioned rotary, multi-engine and fast jet which covers everything tbh. If you are that happy to work on any platform type, I would look at what the platforms are doing in the world at the moment, where they are based and then see what lifestyle you think you will fancy.

M

monobrow

Off Topic Firstly GB, what base are you at?? costford or RAF Cosford?

Off Topic

I think you'll find it's DCAE Cosford. (Home of RAF Cosford whatever that's worth)

Anyways, for your dream sheet theres a few things to remember. Don't pin all your hopes on the first choice. Likely hood is you may not get it.

Urban myth some say, but putting a negative choice is the same as a 4th positive choice. Mention it and you might just end up there (certainly seems that way anyway)

If you like lots of sand and living in tents, then whack down helicopters. For Afghanistan, put harriers, for cheeky North America dets interspersed with a 2 month det to the "holiday home of the middle east" put down Tornado GR4.....

Do some research on what we have, where they go and locations and make the descision. Mine was (almost completely) based on the missus being 8 months preggers at the time of leaving so needed to be fairly close to home.

D

DrunkenMonki

Agree with Mono, my negatives on leaving Tossford were Tonca and Marham. Guess where, and on what! I tried to get Rotary too at the time (pre sand castle building days), was told they only wanted experianced techies! Suspect its different now.

Be a man GB and just let them send you wherever!

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
What course are you on young man as I will be seeing you no doubt. If it's 56 or after then the training package, in my own very humble opinion, will be $hite compared to what we currently offer.

Were you promised an NVQ at the end of your training when visiting the AFCO? If so then you were lied to. The kids we have had through recently have pretty much got what they put as their three choices so go for it.

Last edited:
latest rumour that was morse coded down from the hive.............

get posted on rotary wing (or harrier for that matter) and you won't get away again.
Only rumour I should stress.
:PDT_Xtremez_32:

G

gb4ever

Hi all, firstly appologies for the sh1te grammer and spelling. Thats what happens when your posting in your lunch hour!! Thank you for all your thoughts. I would prefer rotary for the experience even if it means i get to play in the sand!!

Fat lazy techie - im not on 56 but before that so doing the old course - i take it your at cosford then and have some experience in the course or its set up?!?

Just having a look as to specific locations and equpiment and putting some thought in to it but all help so far has been appreciated.

GB

The Bowmeister

Darkside Jedi Master
1st thing you need to workout is where in the country you would like to live between Dets, 2ndly as a "Fairey" you will probably spend all your time in the crewroom playing "Bridge" or maybe because you are A "New Age AMM" it will probably be watching MTV!!.
If you want some fun and a bit of Travel go "Fast Jet" or if you like working in "Greens" with the Army go "Rotary".
Whatever you choose hope i goes well:PDT_Xtremez_40:

P

pie sandwich

For travel put in for Brize or Lyneham, for lots of sand castle building helicopters and if you like working with people who think they are gods gifts and don't see the full picture then go fast jets.

Ive done a few fast jet sqn's and hated them all but loved being on Air transport, and it's not all humping and dumping kit but when you do you stay in hotels:PDT_Xtremez_28:

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
Do not contemplate Lyneham as it sucks to be honest. Its not the place for young lads and lasses to be posted to out of training. I say this because after 22 years in the service and I haven't been to a station like it for giving a totally wrong impression (a bad one at that) of the RAF. If you want to do 6 - 8 months a year away on either of our Squadron Dets then feel free. I'm sure the helecopter lads will tell you likewise.

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
I am firmly of the opinion that every new Techie entrant to the RAF should do a fast jet tour first.

I thought that when you joined up as an Appo, a DE or a Mech, I still thought it when they went to that Mech/Mech Mech/Tech debacle and I still think it now everyone joins as an AMM.

Mind you, the fast jet tours I am on about took place in Germany and you cannot do them anymore and I have no idea what a fast jet tour consists of these days so, I am probably talking bollox.

Regardless of that, I think an AT tour for a bloke straight out of training is not the way to go.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
I am firmly of the opinion that every new Techie entrant to the RAF should do a fast jet tour first.

I'm afraid I disagree with you there Weebl. I think it should be mandatory for them to go 1st line, yes. But not necessarily just fast jets as we do have other front line aircraft!!
I have done jets and choppers, bays and sheds. 1st line has always been my preference and always will be.
Once a liney, always a liney!!
That said there arent a huge amount of places at 2nd,3rd,4th or depth to choose. Then again, there arent that many Sqn's to pick either!

I dare you to leave your dream sheet blank!!!
Good luck whatever you get................:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
I'm afraid I disagree with you there Weebl. I think it should be mandatory for them to go 1st line, yes. But not necessarily just fast jets as we do have other front line aircraft!!

I have, In my career worked on:

Bucaneers, Tornado GR1, F3 and GR4, Puma, Chinook, Hercules K and J and Tristar.

I have also worked first, second and third line.

Just to point out my opinion is not an entirely unqualified one.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
I have, In my career worked on:

Bucaneers, Tornado GR1, F3 and GR4, Puma, Chinook, Hercules K and J and Tristar.

I have also worked first, second and third line.

Just to point out my opinion is not an entirely unqualified one.

Neither is mine. Four Sqn's, a shed and 3 different bays.
Nice to see you have a good cross section there. I just think that a tour at 1st line should be mandatory for techies. On anything. There was a time (just before typhoon) when a "fast jet" tour meant tonkas (sorry to the jag boys!).
I'd hate to think that people thought that was all we had.
Fast and pointy is all very well but 1st line on other aircraft can also be good as I'm sure you will agree?
It was awful when I was 2nd line and we had new uns pitch up from training. You find yourself telling them all about 1st line, "when I was on **Sqn, we were on det in ********" and so on.
I think they should all experience that on whatever they can. :PDT_Xtremez_30:
Didnt mean to "diss" you if thats how it came across.:PDT_Xtremez_30:

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
Fat lazy techie - im not on 56 but before that so doing the old course - i take it your at cosford then and have some experience in the course or its set up?!?

GB

So I guess my avatar gives nothing away then? What course are you on then young man? If you are still in the Turdis then I suggest you ask the destuctors up there all about 238 Sqn, or the biff from Trenchard that looks after you.

I await your arrival, it may be fun!!!!!!:PDT_Xtremez_14:

G

gb4ever

Hi all, thank you for all your input and thoughts. Very useful and thank you. much thought will be done over the weekend. Thanks again

GB

sooty77

LAC

Off Topic

If you like lots of sand and living in tents, then whack down helicopters. For Afghanistan, put harriers,

Sorry mate I have to inform you as you and the rest of the RAF seem to think it's just Harriers in Afgan it's not your fault all the RAF news tells anyone that the RAF is just filled with is fast jets and all new shinney things

But belive it or not there is Chinooks and Hercs in Afgan

Also everyone in Iraq/Afgan is living in tents and that includes the fast jet
types

Off Topic

L

Little Tronk

Done big, fast and rotary at all depths...................1st line fast get, can't beat it.

There are, after all only 2 types of aircraft - fighters and targets!

Back