• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AMM subjects at Cosford

• Thread starter Thread starter Skelf
  • Start date Start date
S

Skelf

I'm looking for information on what specific subjects AMMs study on their two courses at Cosford. I've read the blurb from the AFCO and have a general idea but i'm looking for specifics.

Any gen appreaciated.

You know what they say about Prior Planning.............

S

Skelf

whats that you should have done it !!!

Thats what i am doing.
I'm going through tha app' process, just got my PJFT and final int to go.
While i have the time just now i figure it might be a good idea to gain a little insight into the specifics of the courses.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Trade training is designed in a way that assumes no prior knowledge. Just be prepared to get your head in the books sometimes rather than ****ing it up down Props! :PDT_Xtremez_30:

S

Scottow Horseshoe

Things to remember.....

Things to remember.....

1. In training, listen to all the instructor says and do the task in hand to the best of your ability.

2. After training, listen, watch,work and ask questions, never assume anything.

3. If it doesn't work HIT IT WITH A BIGGER HAMMER!!:PDT_Xtremez_06:

4. If yous get posted to an certain station, watch out for the ginger mong with the Regiment mudguards on his coveralls.

5. There should be a white paper with a job description available form the AFCO, that's all you need to know about your job for the moment.

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
My advice to you is just be prepared to listen and ask questions. If you have anything about you and know how to use a spanner properly then you should get through alright. It's all well and good knowing the chemical breakdown of a jar of pickled onions but you still have to be able to open the fecker.

S

Smakheed

I woulddn't worry about the AMM's course, there is no trade knowledge needed to be an AMM (the ones that work for me prove that daily), all you will be for the first 18 months after AMM training is a glorified pump attendant, then just as your about to get the early stack, you'll find yourself shunted up to be the tradies lackie. After your 18 months of lineying you'll either want out or will go back for Further Training in either Airframe/Propulsion (heavy) or Electrical/Avionic (light) depending on your streaming.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Remember:

There is no such thing as a dumb question.

Dumb answers are different and cause problems.

B

Bucc Boy

I'm looking for information on what specific subjects AMMs study on their two courses at Cosford. I've read the blurb from the AFCO and have a general idea but i'm looking for specifics.

Any gen appreaciated.

You know what they say about Prior Planning.............

By the two courses, I assume you mean heavy and lights. The only trade specific subjects I imagine you will come across are, for lights – Bridge (hack & bash) and for the heavies – uckers.

As has been said though, no prior knowledge required.

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
. If you have anything about you and know how to use a spanner properly then you should get through alright.

Waste of time showing any technical calibre or content at that stage. You will only be taught the basics to turn an aircraft round to fly again. Wait until you (hopefully) get a good Sqn and (hopefully) do some trade work before getting your FT. In sum, AMM TRAINING = VERY BASIC LINE WORK. On the Sqn, that's the time to display your skills, get back to Tossford early on FT and get the ATM or ATAV qual.

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
L&T

I beg to differ with your coments old bean. Having had to educate AMMs for the last couple of years the ability to spanner is going to make the course so much easier. If you are a complete spakker with spanners then it make things much harder, not to mention the fact my valuable time and vast knowledge doesn't get spread evenly leaving some at a disadvantage. You get some people who have the ability to score well enough on the aptitude test to be offered AMM but are physically incapable of doing the job. Also being able to spanner properly will make it so much easier when you get out to the "real world".

I can't comment on the FT course as I have feck all to do with that.

If none of this makes sense then all I can say is I have been working very late for the past week and am on day 11 of a continuous streak, as such I'm just a wee bit tired.

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
FLT
Prepared to agree to a point. I too was involved in AMM education before they were transported to 238 and know full well what the customer wants, - this is vastly different to what the customer NEEDS. The sponsor says train them to this standard... anything else is a waste and no value at that time. You are correct is saying thay can be good with spanners, that is what will aid them for early FT selection (if people use the 100B info correctly) and through FT. Don't forget as the only single point of engineering entry, some of these astute individuals may go on to become officer material. In sum, the front line where these boys & girls are destined want BASIC skills personnel for a short period and then send the best ones back - maintain the others for a further 2 yrs if required to assist further development. The sponsor considers AMM as Pt A, and SAC(T) FT either ATM or ATAV as Pt B.

There is a way to ensure that people do get an even spread of information - teach to the BASIC level as required. Get the AMMs to leave you with a work package to be done at 1st line before returning for Ft, then they should at least have done some BASIC engineering.

If all your courses are Mon to finish (hopefully Fri) why are you working 11 days? perhaps you are teaching them too much?

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
FLT
Prepared to agree to a point. I too was involved in AMM education before they were transported to 238 and know full well what the customer wants, - this is vastly different to what the customer NEEDS. The sponsor says train them to this standard... anything else is a waste and no value at that time. You are correct is saying thay can be good with spanners, that is what will aid them for early FT selection (if people use the 100B info correctly) and through FT. Don't forget as the only single point of engineering entry, some of these astute individuals may go on to become officer material. In sum, the front line where these boys & girls are destined want BASIC skills personnel for a short period and then send the best ones back - maintain the others for a further 2 yrs if required to assist further development. The sponsor considers AMM as Pt A, and SAC(T) FT either ATM or ATAV as Pt B.

There is a way to ensure that people do get an even spread of information - teach to the BASIC level as required. Get the AMMs to leave you with a work package to be done at 1st line before returning for Ft, then they should at least have done some BASIC engineering.

If all your courses are Mon to finish (hopefully Fri) why are you working 11 days? perhaps you are teaching them too much?

They aren't the only point of engineering entry though are they?

R

Real Slim Shady

It is the only point of entry for ac eng trades, apart from Armourers - which I suspect is your point given your nom de plume!

T

The Dog's

So it isn't the only POE then is it? There are 2 points of entry.

So what if you don't want to be a plumber? There are only so many places available on the weapons tech course anyway, so your fallback is the bowser for 18 months as an AMM. Other than a money-saver/recruitment incentive for plumbers, I don't see the logic of a tech scheme for plumbers and a mech scheme for heavies/fairies.

M

monobrow

I don't see the logic of a tech scheme for plumbers and a mech scheme for heavies/fairies.

I can. It's probably down to health and safety in a few respects. AMM's get little training and are kicked out to "learn their trade" by virtue of OJT and basically getting on with it.

When working with stuff that goes bang, the powers that be would be massively in the brown stuff the first time one had a major incident with an ejector seat / missile / bomb / SA80...

All the plumbers stuff goes bang and the only way to get people to work on it, get them highly trained.

T

The Dog's

I can. It's probably down to health and safety in a few respects. AMM's get little training and are kicked out to "learn their trade" by virtue of OJT and basically getting on with it.

When working with stuff that goes bang, the powers that be would be massively in the brown stuff the first time one had a major incident with an ejector seat / missile / bomb / SA80...

All the plumbers stuff goes bang and the only way to get people to work on it, get them highly trained.

Yes, I had thought of that mono, but plumbers had a mech entry system prior to the latest scheme and the mech plumbers I worked around got minimal supervision (ejection seats) and were very thorough and proficient on the asshole. They could have easily blown a ferkin' hole in the hangar roof, which has happened I know. Anyway I would rather have a savvy mech than a wet and useless tech fitting ordnance to a jet in my vicinity.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Other than a money-saver/recruitment incentive for plumbers, I don't see the logic of a tech scheme for plumbers and a mech scheme for heavies/fairies.

Something in the darkest corners of my memory tells me that this is because the armourer's main role is quite significantly different to that of the other trades and simply didn't lend itself to an AMM entry scheme. Remember, all AMMs are taught the same stuff irrespective of whether they are going to end up as techs in the mechanical or avionics role. To extend AMM to the armourer trade would probably involve either teaching the armourer streamed AMMs little if anything about their final trade, or teaching all the others stuff they are never going to use.

Back