• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are you an Engineer?

Sad git

Corporal
Mmmm.....

I started as an 'A mech W' and thought of myself as a mechanic.

I became an 'A tech W' and thought of myself as a Technician / fitter.

I now have a BEng (Hons) degree in Manufacturing Systems Engineering that took four years to get, backed by 15 years in role and think of myself as a Professional Engineer.

So if in doubt, put the bloody time into getting an engineering degree and then you can call yourself an engineer.

The term Engineer is seriously devalued in this country ..... FFS .... photocopy engineer ..... I ask you ....

And finally, at no time was I a DE! Some things can never be lived down.

Last edited:

Shugster

Warrant Officer
Mmmm.....

I started as an 'A mech W' and thought of myself as a mechanic.

I became an 'A tech W' and thought of myself as a Technician / fitter.

I now have a BEng (Hons) degree in Manufacturing Systems Engineering that took four years to get, backed by 15 years in role and think of myself as a Professional Engineer.

So if in doubt, put the bloody time into getting an engineering degree and then you can call yourself an engineer.

The term Engineer is seriously devalued in this country ..... FFS .... photocopy engineer ..... I ask you ....

And finally, at no time was I a DE! Some things can never be lived down.

Don't take this the wrong way, but isn't that more management than Engineering? Do you have the ability to design something complex from scratch with your degree?

Edit to add: However with a BEng you are a bonafide Engineer... not like these BSc fakers! :PDT_Xtremez_30:

Last edited:

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Can I just say you don't just chuck some money at the EC(UK) to become IEng/CEng!

It takes a mixture of qualifications, experience and PROVEN engineering expertise to gain these post nominals.

In addition, you have to attend a professional interview, where you will be quizzed on your engineering background!

Its not like the LCGI you can get from a RAF management course!

You can also gain IEng/CEng as others have rightly said by not having a degree in engineering. All a BEng or MEng (only accredited ones mind) does is streamline the application process!!! I know several engineers who only have a HNC/HND (none with anything below though).

However, I do have to say it is very difficult to become CEng without a degree...well not without decades of experience and taking ECUK exams anyway.

I was proud to be termed "technician" in the RAF. "Engineers" is just a turn of phrase, not an actual job description.

Then again, according to the RAF, JEngOs are "Engineers" and just how many of them know one end of a GS from another?:PDT_Xtremez_14::PDT_Xtremez_14:

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
MP if you are talking about the Licentiateship in Aeronautical Engineering (NVQ Level 4, if memory serves), have things changed that much that you get it as simply as you say, if so that seriously devalues the award.

I had to provide actual evidence of my aeronautical engineering background to a panel before they awarded me my Licentiateship, as you do for most properly conducted NVQ award processes.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
MP if you are talking about the Licentiateship in Aeronautical Engineering (NVQ Level 4, if memory serves), have things changed that much that you get it as simply as you say, if so that seriously devalues the award.

I had to provide actual evidence of my aeronautical engineering background to a panel before they awarded me my Licentiateship, as you do for most properly conducted NVQ award processes.

No mate sorry I was talking about the LCGI you get from Airmans Command School.

I'm not sure about the LCGI in Aero Engineering, I'm not even sure the RAF still offers this?

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
Cheers MP, I sort off panicked there as I was quite proud of the award, as it took me some time to get the evidence they needed.

I have to admit, that I also followed the trail off Airframe Fitter, Airframe Technician and since being in Civvy street I am now a Senior Quality Engineer, so I would think that would start another debate as I am not sure there is a degree in quality or NVQs either, so I suppose I do not qualify as an engineer in this field (some would probably say I don't in aerospace industry either :PDT_Xtremez_21:)

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Cheers MP, I sort off panicked there as I was quite proud of the award, as it took me some time to get the evidence they needed.

I have to admit, that I also followed the trail off Airframe Fitter, Airframe Technician and since being in Civvy street I am now a Senior Quality Engineer, so I would think that would start another debate as I am not sure there is a degree in quality or NVQs either, so I suppose I do not qualify as an engineer in this field (some would probably say I don't in aerospace industry either :PDT_Xtremez_21:)

Off TopicWithout turning this thread into a love in, I've just started as an Assistant Quality Engineer.Off Topic

Although there isn't a Degree in Quality Engineering, engineering has many facets - many skills and qualities are directly transferable across disciplines.

As the engineering profession is so diverse, I believe one of the best yardsticks for classifying Technicians and Engineers are the EC(UK) guidelines. I'm not so naive, however, to believe these are the only benchmarks for defining what an 'engineer' is.

Are there any engineers in the RAF? I'm not sure it really matters. I know that applying to become an Engineering Technician with RAF qualifications and experience is straightforward.

The biggest problem is washing repairmen and photocopier handymen being termed as 'engineers'. Its a recognised problem amongst the engineering institutions. I'm not sure what the solution is to be honest.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Well then....

I suppose as a mere QA Manager I still don't qualify as an engineer then?

fileeth

Corporal
I received a phone call today that informed me that I will be able to officially call myself an Incorporate Engineer.:PDT_Xtremez_30:

I attended my technical report and professional review interview yesterday.
The longest, hardest and most uncomfortable 1 1/2 hour interview I have attended (including job interviews recently).
I thought i had blown it but got the phone call today.:PDT_Xtremez_30:

My advice and recommendation would be to go down the Eng. Council route and get registered as recognistion of the capabilties you can/have achieved.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I received a phone call today that informed me that I will be able to officially call myself an Incorporate Engineer.:PDT_Xtremez_30:

I attended my technical report and professional review interview yesterday.
The longest, hardest and most uncomfortable 1 1/2 hour interview I have attended (including job interviews recently).
I thought i had blown it but got the phone call today.:PDT_Xtremez_30:

My advice and recommendation would be to go down the Eng. Council route and get registered as recognistion of the capabilties you can/have achieved.

Congratulations mate. I'm hoping to go IEng once (if I ever!) finish my BEng (already EngTech).

Was it a proper 'grilling' in the professional review then? :PDT_Xtremez_14:

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
@MP,

Who are you doing your BEng with?

TW

Off TopicI originally started with the OU, then transferred to a BSc in Engineering & Management at Derby. Then I got cold feet and realised I needed a LOT of extra work to add to the BSc for IEng registration (it was a lot easier than the BEng as well), so I went back to the OU BEng. One of the main reasons was that the BEng is a great springboard for the MEng and eventual CEng registration (my eventual career goal)Off Topic

fileeth

Corporal
Congratulations mate. I'm hoping to go IEng once (if I ever!) finish my BEng (already EngTech).

Was it a proper 'grilling' in the professional review then? :PDT_Xtremez_14:

It was a grilling/interegation/confirmation of knowledge but nothing i didn't know - just the self imposed pressure of worrying/thinking about the interview and coming across competently with the corerect answers (i thought i had messed up this bit - bloody nerves).

My advice would be is to make sure your personnal development plan and records are up to date and with you i.e. your blue folder issued during your time in ther mob and you can give examples of compliance against each of the requirements as laid down in the ECUK I.Eng requirements/framework.

I had mine updated and present although they didn't look at it as the cover spoke for itself and they knew that if you take it along then you are on the ball.!!!

I have only finished a foundation degree and not yet completed the hons. degree, although that is planned and on trac. and they were happy with my quals, experience and background once it had been proved and backed up with evidence.

Go for it - you've got nothing to lose:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Back