• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Armament Engineering Flights?

• Thread starter Thread starter Casper
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Casper

Hopefully this is the right sort of place to post this question.

Currently just coming to the end of my time at Cosford, my course received our postings this afternoon and despite putting down my preference for a Heli Sqn at either Benson or Odiham, I've been dicked with one of my negative's, Lossiemouth, on 'AEF'. Working down the airfield side of camp right now and it's pretty much exclusively AMMs, the chances of getting a hold of anyone here that actually knows anything about Armourer stuff is slim to none, so I was wondering is anyone here might know what the sort of work on an AEF might generally involve?

All I've heard thus far is 'painting bombs', and frankly I'd rather be cocked on to a HDERU and dropped on the Taliban myself than spend the next 18 months/3 years doing that, so I'm hoping the Sgt that told me that was at least partially wrong. Or if he's right then what's the maximum number of months during a year you'd generally be allowed to spend out of country on dets/ops?

Any info very greatly appreciated.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Welcome to the real RAF. My first tour was Lossie, even thought I never asked for it (bay as well!). See how it goes, A/C Q courses come up for second line and don't forget exchanges. 2nd line armourers have a quite a turn round for OOA's as well. You might like Lossie (there are worse places) however you might not see as much of it as you think!

G

gemarriott

don't knock painting bombs, it is interesting and varied work. I liked the bit where we got to paint the stripes around the nose best:PDT_Xtremez_42:

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
don't knock painting bombs, it is interesting and varied work. I liked the bit where we got to paint the stripes around the nose best:PDT_Xtremez_42:

Vertical or Horizontal stripes?

I think that Horizontal ones make the bomb look fat!!

To answer the original question,

I have no idea but wish you well on your future and congrats for passing the course!!!

TW

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

Currently just coming to the end of my time at Cosford, my course received our postings this afternoon and despite putting down my preference for a Heli Sqn at either Benson or Odiham, I've been dicked with one of my negative's, Lossiemouth, on 'AEF'. Working down the airfield side of camp right now and it's pretty much exclusively AMMs, the chances of getting a hold of anyone here that actually knows anything about Armourer stuff is slim to none, so I was wondering is anyone here might know what the sort of work on an AEF might generally involve?

All I've heard thus far is 'painting bombs', and frankly I'd rather be cocked on to a HDERU and dropped on the Taliban myself than spend the next 18 months/3 years doing that, so I'm hoping the Sgt that told me that was at least partially wrong. Or if he's right then what's the maximum number of months during a year you'd generally be allowed to spend out of country on dets/ops?

AEF encompasses all second line armament work on a station. If you work in an armoury, ESA etc - they're all part of AEF.

If you end up in the ESA, you will be part of TAS and henceforth eligible for all TAS OOA deployments (Herrick/Telic).

I'm also sure that all AEF armourers at Lossie/Marhole do 5A6 training enabling them to help out on the swing wing dagger of death as required - but don't quote me on that!

I've never done 2nd line, try talking to Downsizer, I believe he's a second line type, he'll probably be able to answer your queries better.

MP

C

Casper

I did express an interest in small arms as a third choice on my sheet so that could explain it I suppose. I know I'll be fine living the opposite end of country to home (being a cockney *******) as long as I've got a little bit of variety to keep my mind occupied and some challenging stuff to work at now and again, it was really the thought of putting 1" yellow rings on 1000lb'ers for 3 years in the freezing cold middle-of-nowhere that scared the brown stuff out of me.

All that's put my mind at ease a bit though, cheers for all replying so quick anyway.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I did express an interest in small arms as a third choice on my sheet so that could explain it I suppose. I know I'll be fine living the opposite end of country to home (being a cockney *******) as long as I've got a little bit of variety to keep my mind occupied and some challenging stuff to work at now and again, it was really the thought of putting 1" yellow rings on 1000lb'ers for 3 years in the freezing cold middle-of-nowhere that scared the brown stuff out of me.

All that's put my mind at ease a bit though, cheers for all replying so quick anyway.

As you gain experience mate, you'll stop doing the gash jobs all of the time (manpower is so short, they can't keep you painting boxes forever!).

Just remember, you might find yourself moving around a bit if you end up working in an ESA so you can complete your NVQ.

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
As you gain experience mate, you'll stop doing the gash jobs all of the time (manpower is so short, they can't keep you painting boxes forever!).

Just remember, you might find yourself moving around a bit if you end up working in an ESA so you can complete your NVQ.

Ahh, the joys of the empty box compound, seals and shellac. Brass, brass, brass and brass.

G

gemarriott

If they give you a gs, a hammer and a pair of ear defs and send you out to a row of 1'000lbers and tell you to knock the brown sugar off round the exploder pockets tell them to fcuk off and do it themselves:PDT_Xtremez_14:

G

gemarriott

Ahh, the joys of the empty box compound, seals and shellac. Brass, brass, brass and brass.

you forgot to mention the joys of Luting (not sure of the spelling) especialy when administered to the insides of coppers hats and the dump fairies shreddies:PDT_Xtremez_42:

C

Casper

I'd be quite happy with that to be honest, while it may be rubbish having to march around and do your kit all the time, I've always quite enjoyed training from the point of view that it's something different near enough every day. Going from that to a CBLS/ERU bay would finish me I think.

If they give you a gs, a hammer and a pair of ear defs and send you out to a row of 1'000lbers and tell you to knock the brown sugar off round the exploder pockets tell them to fcuk off and do it themselves
Not sure the ear defs would help much in that situation... :raf:

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Hey Casper

Done a tour out of training yet?

You really do not know! Try it first and if it is totally cr*p, then ask for a move, etc.:PDT_Xtremez_30:

AEF might give you the basic grounding in your trade to make you shine in your subsquent career!

Enjoy your first tour. Mine was ace!

Last edited:

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Casper,

One more thing mate.I know you put squadron down for Odiham - but plumbers aren't on any of the squadrons. All armourers are part of Odiham AEF and undertake duties on the cabs as and when required. 18/27 Squadron exist only for aircrew - all Chinook engineering for these squadrons is undertaken by a centralised Chinook squadron (ExCes) - so, in effect, you'd be on AEF even if you'd gotten your choice of posting!:PDT_Xtremez_32:

Sorry, bit of a curveball, but thought I'd mention it if you were thinking of trying to swap with someone.

E

enginesuck

you can always volunteer for a DWR to afghan or iraq if being an armourer isnt exciting enough for you , thank the lord your not posted to kinloss, where aircraft moves would be your primary role....

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
AEF encompasses all second line armament work on a station. If you work in an armoury, ESA etc - they're all part of AEF.

If you end up in the ESA, you will be part of TAS and henceforth eligible for all TAS OOA deployments (Herrick/Telic).

Not strictly correct...AEF at Wittering has been subsumed into 93EA (TAS) but not AEF at Lossiemouth...

You need to find out exactely where you will be working in AEF...ring the WO, be polite and ask where you are going to...

Then you may get some usefull replies...there is much more to working in an ESA than painting bombs...

And a last peice of advice...don't arrive with a negative attitude due to preconceptions formed at a training establishment..it won't help you...

Pikeman

Cider one of the five
1000+ Posts
Don't get in the wrong mind set before you even get there, as has already been mentioned by my fellow comrades from the plumbers world, AEF can be varied. Remember to keep you're mouth shut and listen for awhile. There is nothing that winds us up more than some one whinging when they first arrive or swaning round like they know it all cause they have just finished training!

Just a bit of advice. Not having a go, hopefully you are not like that.

From what I have heard Lossie is a great social camp (can't go anywhere) and keep your ears open, there may be an armourer on a Sqn who wants off and will be happy to exchange. Keep your JPA updated so thayknow you want a move.

And always stay smilling, keeps the rest happy and annoys the crap out of the Coppers:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Best of luck

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Rule 1 for Postings!

NEVER put down negative choices as you're bound to get one of them!

Drafters sense of humour I guess! :PDT_Xtremez_28:

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Downsizer;300254[B said:
]Not strictly correct...AEF at Wittering has been subsumed into 93EA (TAS) but not AEF at Lossiemouth...[/b]

.../quote]

Sorry mate, duff gen.We were told that all ESAs bar Cottesmore were now part of TAS. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back