• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ATM Sgt - Chief

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
Hot off the rumour mill today, B grades are being re boarded as the have surpassed all the A and B+ candidates. Has the rumour got any foundations to it?

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Not really a shock, who wants to stay in anymore? if your not in a posting of your choice you can easily get a 30-40k job in civvy strasse plus pension. They really need to wake up to this as they are running out of trained Engineering personnel. The new pay structure in 2016 is going to be too little too late.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Unless its somewhere you want to go you might as well turn it down. This has always been the problem with the CT rank under pay 2000, topping out straight away on the FS pay so the posting could actually cost you money living in the mess or commuting and a wanky job to boot? no thanks. no wonder they rattled through the A grades.

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Unless its somewhere you want to go you might as well turn it down. This has always been the problem with the CT rank under pay 2000, topping out straight away on the FS pay so the posting could actually cost you money living in the mess or commuting and a wanky job to boot? no thanks. no wonder they rattled through the A grades.

I do know what you mean - last 2 postings on promotion were Kinloss & Wyton. Once NEM pay sorted, there will be a few more pay increments after promotion.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
CT to FS board has burst through 100, just shows nobody wants to live away from home in a mess, and a pay cut. its just not worth it as a chief anymore.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
CT to FS board has burst through 100, just shows nobody wants to live away from home in a mess, and a pay cut. its just not worth it as a chief anymore.

Did they have to reboard or do they just carry on the list. Do B grades get a positional number? I know that the manning site was showing just 62 A grades.

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
62 A grades dues to the low prediction. New board sits next week, Prediction 82. If I don't get it this year after 8 years of 'Highs' I might as well kick back with my pipe and slippers

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Have many turned it down or have many more FS than expected left?

Either way, promoting B grades will only place individuals in higher ranks when they are not yet ready.

This seems to happen a lot in TG1 - perhaps this time many really are jumping ship to these highly paid jobs they talk about.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Promotion rec has little, if any, influence on the PSB, it's all down to the write up.

And that shows that one person's career can be dependant on another persons ability to write - TOTALLY WRONG !!

The annual assessment is an RAF wide survey to find the best people suitable for promotion and other peoples skills should not come into it.

It should be done with questions and tick boxes with weighted answers preferably completed by 3 reporters then averaged.

4everAD

Sergeant
And that shows that one person's career can be dependant on another persons ability to write - TOTALLY WRONG !!

The annual assessment is an RAF wide survey to find the best people suitable for promotion and other peoples skills should not come into it.

It should be done with questions and tick boxes with weighted answers preferably completed by 3 reporters then averaged.

Apologies for jumping on another trades thread however, I completley agree with you and don't think your idea is too far of the mark for what we should be doing.

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
Promotion rec has little, if any, influence on the PSB, it's all down to the write up.

I'm only to well aware of that now after asking the UCA when I was still a B Grade after 5 years. Turns out the guy writing my SJARs was flagged up as incompetent and ordered onto an SJAR writing course. I never realised how important taking control of your own SJAR was until I'd wasted 5 of them. I should have 3 good ones backing me up this year.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I'm only to well aware of that now after asking the UCA when I was still a B Grade after 5 years. Turns out the guy writing my SJARs was flagged up as incompetent and ordered onto an SJAR writing course. I never realised how important taking control of your own SJAR was until I'd wasted 5 of them. I should have 3 good ones backing me up this year.

It seems absolutely stupid that they take a flawed system, realise that people have problems with it and then send them on a course to make them better at using that very same flawed system.

AVliney

LAC
We have an FS at our Sqn that has been promoted and they can't replace him! A CT has had to accept acting rank to fill his post as quite a few chiefs have turned the offer down!! No increase in pension and the difference between CT top level and FS level is not worth the hassle of a posting/living in the mess etc as has already been said.

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Have many turned it down or have many more FS than expected left?

Either way, promoting B grades will only place individuals in higher ranks when they are not yet ready.

This seems to happen a lot in TG1 - perhaps this time many really are jumping ship to these highly paid jobs they talk about.

If I remember correctly there was a field of 67...7 declined, 15 PVRd or life-x....for Chf Tech there's a 17% ET rate, much higher than other ranks which are at historical norms.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer

And that's the services solution to everything - someone isn't very good at something, send them on a course, problem solved. Yes it might help them to stop making boner errors, but a command of the English language isn't something you gain overnight, some otherwise very good people never really master the skill.
As has been previously said, it should be seen as a priority to find a system that eliminates the penmanship skills of the ROs as a variable in the promotion hunt.

Back