• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ATM Sgt - Chief

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
And that's the services solution to everything - someone isn't very good at something, send them on a course, problem solved. Yes it might help them to stop making boner errors, but a command of the English language isn't something you gain overnight, some otherwise very good people never really master the skill.
As has been previously said, it should be seen as a priority to find a system that eliminates the penmanship skills of the ROs as a variable in the promotion hunt.

That's the crux of it...what system would you put in place? I do wonder how bad a problem this is considering it seems to be recognised that we are actually getting so much better at writing SJARs that the system will have to change to discriminate promotees from an RAF full of so many space cadet first-class walk-on-water candidates (apparently..). This indicates that many are very good indeed at writing an SJAR with the right buzz words and without the killer words that unintentionally sink a write up.

The way I see it, the problem is bigger than a poor grasp of English for some but also the refined and professional way others are able to craft a good SJAR. This may be because the reporting officers take the time, have the time or are just better wordsmiths than others.

A good step forwards is attendance by subjects at SJAR workshops and push back on reporting officers when they see clangers that have been pointed out to them in the workshops. SJARs, in my experience, are much more of a 2 way process now than they ever were...but this again may be because of the environment I work in.

Alternatives??? Trade exams...and maybe interviews. Don't rule out interviews because the Civil Service can manage (with 400k employees), the NHS manage (with 1.9m employees!); even if they are less mobile than we are. Or maybe that option would bring in problems of their own, such as bad performance in a 45 minute interview killing a good candidate off.

Given the alternatives, I am not sure the SJAR system is so bad; not perfect but not all bad.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Sending someone on a course does not always make them better at the subject matter, they are just more qualified.

Look at any online survey and the ability to write English matters not a jot, they are all based on questions with weighted answers. In this day and age it would not be difficult to use similar gradings as the old F6442 with automatic scoring.

Remove other peoples' skills and rely on honesty (although that seems to be a fading quality).

Last edited:

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
If I remember correctly there was a field of 67...7 declined, 15 PVRd or life-x....for Chf Tech there's a 17% ET rate, much higher than other ranks which are at historical norms.

its ok they will just promote more Sgts............

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
On the subject of more sgts, I heard the Sgt-CT board has been ratified, I wonder what crazy numbers its going to kick out.

Back