• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Civvy Aircraft or Not?

chiefy

Corporal
It should be noted that holding a licence does not automatically equal big bucks. You've got to prove that you are worthy of type courses and capable of holding a company approval. There are plenty of guys out here who have passed all the exams and are sitting on licenses but that does not necessarily mean the company is going to let them use it. Passing the exams is the easy bit, getting the necessary experience and demonstrating your ability alongside all the other civvy trained guys is not so straightforward.

I think this is the bit that most guys going outside don't get, many assume that passing the exams is a ticket to riches the truth is it takes time and nothing is automatic. There are quicker and easier ways of earning good money but if aircraft are your love and joy then experience and skills are what you need to demonstrate to an employer - and the necessary bits of paper. The licensed guys who I know with decent jobs (a lot of them don't!) all got their jobs on the back of moonlighting as contractors when they were still in during leave and weekends, they built a reputation with potential employeres prior to leaving the mob.

S

smudgethecat

I think this is the bit that most guys going outside don't get, many assume that passing the exams is a ticket to riches the truth is it takes time and nothing is automatic. There are quicker and easier ways of earning good money but if aircraft are your love and joy then experience and skills are what you need to demonstrate to an employer - and the necessary bits of paper. The licensed guys who I know with decent jobs (a lot of them don't!) all got their jobs on the back of moonlighting as contractors when they were still in during leave and weekends, they built a reputation with potential employeres prior to leaving the mob.

Tell me something chiefy, i made around 62k last year as a LAE, its a permie job so it comes with the normal benifits ie fairly decent pension, sick pay, staff travel, paid holidays etc, however it can be hard work on occasions , it involves shift work, being out in all weathers, getting covered in skydrol now and again etc so id be really interested in a easier and
quicker way of making 60k plus per annum, any pointers?

ps dirty harry your spot on with everything you said, thats exactly as it is!

Last edited:

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Duffman.

The last few posts would probably put anyone off a career in civil aviation for life although they do reflect the true reality of life outside of the wire.

If you want to do it, then just do it.

But, do not do it half heartedly. Commit yourself to regular study and take advice on how to do this.

When you start your modules, think of it as an opportunity to refresh old knowledge, fill knowledge gaps and also to learn completely new things.

It's a bit of a slog at first but you will really get into it. When you pass your first module, the feeling is fantastic because you have literally passed the first hurdle. Before you know it, you will be halfway through and well on your way!!!!!

The best advice though is to stop talking about it and doing it.

Good luck.

TW

S

smudgethecat

Id have to disagree, life outside the wire for a type rated LAE personally speaking is far better than being inside, far better pay, conditions, none of the yes sir no sir three bags full sir forces bull****, wish id doine it years ago, in fact i wish id done it from day one, only drawback is your on your own in a big tough world, if you can hack that your laughing

duffman

Flight Sergeant
Duffman.

The last few posts would probably put anyone off a career in civil aviation for life although they do reflect the true reality of life outside of the wire.

If you want to do it, then just do it.

But, do not do it half heartedly. Commit yourself to regular study and take advice on how to do this.

When you start your modules, think of it as an opportunity to refresh old knowledge, fill knowledge gaps and also to learn completely new things.

It's a bit of a slog at first but you will really get into it. When you pass your first module, the feeling is fantastic because you have literally passed the first hurdle. Before you know it, you will be halfway through and well on your way!!!!!

The best advice though is to stop talking about it and doing it.

Good luck.

TW

It was just something on another thread that got me a little puzzled and others bits in the techie forum about civvy a/c related topics rather than going for a job. I know this may sound odd, even if I did start the topic, but working on a/c outside doesn't really interest me if I'm honest. It was more to fill in the blanks and just to have some more knowledge about a topic I knew little about.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Well Duffman,

You asked the right question and you got some good answers - and even if you feel you want to go to another trade - there's nothing wrong with your methods of research.

The real beauty of being "Outside the Wire" is the freedom to choose your own destiny.

Best of Luck wherever you go.
Rigga

Shugster

Warrant Officer
I sent a CV to MPI a few months before leaving and heard nothing back.

So I took the first job that came along that just happened to be in Material / Structural testing as a mechanical service engineer.

After a week the boss told me to learn about a machine we built that was mainly electronic as we had enough mechanical bods. After much head scratching I got to grips with the electronic side as well as Hyds and mechanics etc.

Today I deal mainly in electronic repair with some development work thrown in and I really like it.

I would have liked to have stayed on Jets, but I'm glad that I've learned and added new skills.

There are two kinds of people in the world...

Those who know exactly what they want and aim for it... Not me.

Those who go with the flow and see where life takes them.. that's me, not good for a career but I seem to have muddled my way through so far.

Good luck.
:PDT_Xtremez_26:

chiefy

Corporal
quicker way of making 60k plus per annum, any pointers?

Since you asked you could try my industry (oil & gas)? Six months work for around £83k as a maintenance supervisor, do that for 5 or 6 years gain some experience and get a job as an OIM c£130K for 6 months work? but I don't do that as I'm not interested in spending time away (done that) I was on a course in Aberdeen recently and the OIM I was sitting next to left the RAF as a Chief Tech 6 years ago, after a couple of hours on the p!ss he explained how he got there and how much he was on and how little he worked (although it is a high responsibility job), it all came down to his experience in the RAF and a bit of luck - right place right time - but it is achievable.

How about getting a degree while you are in (not compulsory but it helps) work towards Chartered Engineer/ Chartered Manager get some experience and quals in project management and take the opportunity to apply for one of the estimated 3000 jobs going at the moment as a project manager or project engineer earning between £35k and £80k starting pay with all the benefits of a company car expense account, autonomy, staff, a nice warm office, more holiday than I got in the mob, final salary, good pension, free healthcare etc? That's what I do....

I'm not knocking LAE as a career, it is a good one......... but it plainly is not the dream propsition that many assume it is when they are in and look outside, there are plenty of good well paid jobs out here especially for ex SNCO's with some significant experience behind them, none of those jobs appear to be in aviation though!

I think the point is this; I've discovered a whole set of industries since I left which all pay very well, I've also discovered a whole new ethos towards work where people are no longer loyal to their employer/ career and step from job to job in the race for better pay and/ or a better career, it empowers and gives significant negotiating power. Lots of people in my line of work not only have their fulltime job but also have private consultancies which are very lucrative and was a complete surpise to me (but I'm catching on quick) Once you start networking outside, understand where your transferrable skills and abilities lie I think most career servicepeople would be astonished how often we are pursued by head hunters and recruiters looking to fill difficult positions or short term contracts where you can literally negotiate your own pay and terms. It's a whole different ballgame outside which is refreshing and also makes you realise that sticking to one career option can be career limiting in terms of satisfaction and reward. As Rigga said you can do whatever you want (or words to that effect)

Last edited:
Back